college rodeo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

college rodeo

My son is a senior in high school this year and he wants to go on to college rodeo. I am wondering what he needs to do to get noticed by the college coaches. He steer wrestles. He does the North Texas High School Rodeo association, Red Hot Regions, and he is starting Little Britches this year.

He has contacted a couple coaches. One wants him to come practice with them. I am not sure what the other said.

Here he is.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know much about getting into Rodeo, but the school I went to had a rodeo team, and the people from the town are good people. https://riderangersride.com/sports/mens-rodeo

You may have a look at that website and reach out to that coach as well. Good luck.

Comment

I just sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          My son is a senior in high school this year and he wants to go on to college rodeo. I am wondering what he needs to do to get noticed by the college coaches. He steer wrestles. He does the North Texas High School Rodeo association, Red Hot Regions, and he is starting Little Britches this year.

He has contacted a couple coaches. One wants him to come practice with them. I am not sure what the other said.
          Tx Tech is pretty big in college rodeo and they host a few open amateur rodeos each year, if i recall correctly. Could be a good opportunity to get in front of coaches. Tarleton does a lot in rodeo also but any college clinics or opens would be solid i would think. Sending film and emails always good also.

Comment

I had a full ride to calf rope at NTCC in mount pleasant. Just call the coach and practice with them. Let them see his talent. Chad Henry was the coach when I was there but I think CJ Mohl took it over. I used to haul with him. Very nice guy.
            Tarleton state had a rodeo each year to show your talent to the coaches. If you won you got a scholarship. Not sure if they still do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The best thing for your son to do is to win. You win enough the college coaches will find come to him. That being said your son needs to start putting together a resume of accomplishments both in and out of the arena. Include everything including school, and community service etc... Also start putting together a video resume, include rodeo runs, practice runs and workout/training videos. You have to market yourself not only as a competitor but also a good addition to the school. He will be representing the school and they want good kids.

Also keep in mind your son can still college rodeo and not be on scholarship.
              Last edited by BrandonA; 08-11-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                The best thing for your son to do is to win. You win enough the college coaches will find come to him. That being said your son needs to start putting together a resume of accomplishments both in and out of the arena. Include everything including school, and community service etc... Also start putting together a video resume, include rodeo runs, practice runs and workout/training videos. You have to market yourself not only as a competitor but also a good addition to the school. He will be representing the school and they want good kids.

Also keep in mind your son can still college rodeo and not be on scholarship.

This pretty much. Regarding any sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great information. Thanks.

Comment

To add on to what Brandon said, universities and colleges with rodeo teams/clubs have a lot more athletes than the ones that are on scholarship. Rodeo unfortunately only gets so much money after all other sports and have to rely on walk-ons outside their scholarship athletes. Colleges are obviously a lot less expensive than walking on at a university. If he joins a team and is winning, a university will pick him up on scholarship, or his college will fork over money to keep him on the team. Good luck to him.

Just an FYI to be able to join any school’s team all that has to be done is due’s paid and waivers signed and you’re allowed to compete in all the regions NIRA rodeos.

Comment

Two routes. At least 20 plus years ago when I was in College. Went to Tarleton and rodeo for 3 years. First options was getting a rodeo scholarship. Second option is to just go rodeo. You pay your own way. I don't remember the scholarships being huge dollar value but something is better than nothing. Nothing stops your son from going to any school and rodeoing for the school.

Comment

I was on the rodeo team at SHSU. Walked on!
                        Actually entered a Rodeo Team sponsored bull riding. Spoke with the coach afterwards and was on the team the next year.
                        I got a little bit, but it wasn't much. I think it was like $250 twds books.

Bubba Miller is the SHSU Rodeo Coach now and is a great Christian guy. I know he is recruiting a lot as I see it on FB often.

Never hurts to call them, go visit them, email them, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                          I was on the rodeo team at SHSU. Walked on!
                          Actually entered a Rodeo Team sponsored bull riding. Spoke with the coach afterwards and was on the team the next year.
                          I got a little bit, but it wasn't much. I think it was like $250 twds books.

Bubba Miller is the SHSU Rodeo Coach now and is a great Christian guy. I know he is recruiting a lot as I see it on FB often.

Never hurts to call them, go visit them, email them, etc.
                          What years were you at SHSU?

Comment

I went to Weatherford College and steer wrestled there. Johnny Emmons has taken that team to a whole other level. He can knock a year or two there and head to a four year school. That’s what most did. Or look at some college’s in Oklahoma where the Rodeo Coaches are bulldoggers. Pretty sure Stockton Graves still coaches at one in Oklahoma. Good luck to him!

Comment

West Texas A&M has a good program.

Comment

Working...
                              X