? for the folks with Septic systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for the folks with Septic systems

The home we are in now, our forever home, was built in 2010 and it has a septic system. We closed on the house in Jan 2020 and it had been vacant for 8 months prior to that. Not sure how many people used this house prior to us buying it.

Hoe do I know when I need to get the septic tanks emptied or checked out?

Any help on septic systems would help. I have been adding Rid X every month since we moved in if that helps.

I would make friends with local septic guy. I would call have them inspect. Then go from there. Or pump and move on! Ants!!! Watch for ant if you have aeration system.

Comment

The answer depends on what type of septic system? Conventional or aerobic?

Comment

I’ve been on septic my whole life. Only time I’ve had it pumped out was when it started backing up into shower. I have a lot of trees in yard and the roots started to plug up the piping and I had to have it roto-rooted. Also don’t let your wife use a lot of bleach. It will kill the good bacteria that helps break everything down.

Comment

Just crap in it. Don't use rid x or let women flush other stuff down the drain.
          Also, your septic doesn't want to be your friend, he wants you to pay him. He's got bills to pay just like everyone else.

Comment

Are you not required to have a maintenance contract with a service company? I am and it’s a stupid money grab - may be because it’s an aerobic system

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              The home we are in now, our forever home, was built in 2010 and it has a septic system. We closed on the house in Jan 2020 and it had been vacant for 8 months prior to that. Not sure how many people used this house prior to us buying it.

Any help on septic systems would help. I have been adding Rid X every month since we moved in if that helps.
              If it's aerobic, you're wasting your money pouring Rid-x in there. I would have all three tanks pumped out, put water back in immediately to keep the ground water from pushing empty tanks up. Make sure aeration system is working & you're good for quite a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                Are you not required to have a maintenance contract with a service company? I am and it’s a stupid money grab - may be because it’s an aerobic system
                You should be able to do it yourself, depending on your local rules.
                Don't listen to people that say you can't. Look it up for yourself.
                Reference table to determine the type of septic system (OSSF) that is suitable for your property. Brief descriptions of treatment and disposal systems.

Comment

If you have a conventional system and it’s working, just have a pumper out to empty your tanks.

Comment

If the toilets start having issues flushing and/or it backs up in your closest tub/shower...have it pumped.

Do you know if you have 2 or 3 sections in your tank? gravity feed or pump or aerobic? Makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post

Jerp, you can do it yourself after the first two years if your in parker county.

Comment

In my county we are required to have an aerobic contract with a company by ordinance. I’ll pay about $200 a year for it to be inspected three times.

As part of the inspection they check the level of the tanks. I have never had a tank pumped in the approximate 20 years I have lived at this location

About two years ago my tank was deep enough with sludge that the inspector said I might need it pumped after the next inspection. When he came back for the next inspection it has been reduced about 75%. He said that was pretty much normal but it fluctuates and it depends on the bacterial action in the tank.

Comment

Clean it come hell or high water

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                          If it's aerobic, you're wasting your money pouring Rid-x in there. I would have all three tanks pumped out, put water back in immediately to keep the ground water from pushing empty tanks up. Make sure aeration system is working & you're good for quite a few years.
                          My tank is a 1940’s model, so I have no clue what is required on a 2010 model, but rid-X is no bueno, green pig is our brand
                          I would pump and clean , inspect that system whether conventional or aerobic , it’s Murphy law it will die on a holiday with a household full of people and guests !

Comment

Just be sure to write down your weight before messing around near a septic tank. That way, if you fall in, we'll know how much to dip out.

Comment

Depended on septic systems all my life. Very few problems. I flush a little pkg of yeast every week. Make fun but a plumber told me one time to flush horse manure about once a week. Two clumps would work good as yeast and the other over the counter products. Flame me! LOL!!
                              Last edited by doghouse; 10-27-2021, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X