Auto gate openers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto gate openers ?

I’m fixing to get ready to install an auto gate. Looks like I’m going with a ghost opener. It’s in my budget and has a lifetime warranty. Any else here run a ghost opener?
    My driveway is about 125 yards long . I can either put the gate close to the road or close to the house . If closer to the house I can probably get it to where I can watch it with a camera. Close to the road I don’t think I could other then with a game cam.would y’all want yalls gate closer to the road ? Kinda the way I’m leaning . That would also help keep random people from pulling up in my driveway .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am happy so far with my ghost opener, and gate is at front of property close to road

Comment

Our gate is at the road (100 yards +/- from the house). Our opener doesn't even have a keypad, just a button on the box enclosing the battery, etc. that anyone could push to open the gate. However, the gate acts as a deterrent and we've had no issues.
      I think if bad guys could pull up our driveway and off the road to get to the gate, we might have different experience.
      BTW, we live off a fairly busy road in the boonies.

Comment

Install your gate close to the road. If your house is 125 yards off of the road and your house can't be seen clearly from the road it's the ideal situation for a thief. At least they would have to park on the road and walk to the house which is less likely.

Comment

Ok close to the road it is . Now how about swing in or out ? I’m thinking out that way it can’t be pushed open . I will make sure the gate closes again another corner post .

Comment

If it swings outward then the opener will have to be on the out side of the gate where people can mess with it. It needs to swing inward so the opener is on the inside of the gate.

Comment

Buy once cry once, get an Apollo.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                If it swings outward then the opener will have to be on the out side of the gate where people can mess with it. It needs to swing inward so the opener is on the inside of the gate.
                This. I run a U.S. Automatic, over ten years without a problem.

Comment

Also looking at Ghost Control. They seem like the best for your buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post

Didn’t think about that . That answers that question. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      Also looking at Ghost Control. They seem like the best for your buck.

For my budget I think it’s the best option. I like the lifetime warranty. Mighty mule is only a 2 year .

Comment

my LIFTMASTER, has been great, hard wired, as well as bat. back up... off the swing in

Comment

Originally posted by aac_shooter View Post
                          buy once cry once, get an apollo.

Comment

Let me suggest the Patriot by US Automatic. Made in Texas. I just installed one on my gate, replacing an Apollo 1550. Packaged very nicely, and excellent customer support.

The Apollo was always giving me problems. I changed the board twice. I was happy when it took a swim during Harvey. I had always heard that Apollo was the best, but after owning one I would advise against it. I know now that they sold out, and are no longer made in Texas......probably China. I would imagine the older models were legit, but the newer "Nice-Apollo" is not the same. They are just riding on the Apollo name.

The US Automatic was super easy to install. The instructions where thorough, and covered almost every detail & connection step by step. The Apollo installation manual was vague, and caused me to have to call them several times to get it operating correctly.

The US Automatic open pretty quickly too. You don't have to wait long like you do with a mighty mule. My brother has one, and those things are slower than molasses.

My Patriot is run off solar, and set up with entry & exit keypads. The entry keypad is wired to the board, and the exit is wireless.

I bought everything from Gatecrafters.com. Pretty good customer support, and if you call them they will help you get setup with exactly what you need.
                            Here is how I set mine up:
                            Patriot w/solar: https://www.usautomatic.com/solar-gate-opener-patriot
                            Wireless Keypad: https://www.usautomatic.com/solar-ga...s-keypad-metal
                            Wired low draw keypad (recommended for a solar setup): http://www.gatecrafters.com/product_detail_34644.aspx
                            wired keypad installation manual: https://docs.usautomatic.com/pro/how...to_english.pdf

I would install the gate to swing in. It will take up less of your entryway, and you wont have to worry about it opening onto someones vehicle that pulls up too close.
                            Last edited by Palmetto; 02-08-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                              Let me suggest the Patriot by US Automatic. Made in Texas. I just installed one on my gate, replacing an Apollo 1550. Packaged very nicely, and excellent customer support.

The Apollo was always giving me problems. I changed the board twice. I was happy when it took a swim during Harvey. I had always heard that Apollo was the best, but after owning one I would advise against it. I know now that they sold out, and are no longer made in Texas......probably China. I would imagine the older models were legit, but the newer "Nice-Apollo" is not the same.

The US Automatic was super easy to install. The instructions where thorough, and covered almost every detail & connection step by step. The Apollo installation manual was vague, and caused me to have to call them several times to get it operating correctly.

The US Automatic open pretty quickly too. You don't have to wait long like you do with a mighty mule. My brother has one, and those things are slower than molasses.

My Patriot is run off solar, and set up with entry & exit keypads. The entry keypad is wired to the board, and the exit is wireless.

I bought everything from Gatecrafters.com. Pretty good customer support, and if you call them they will help you get setup with exactly what you need.
                              Here is how I set mine up:
                              Patriot w/solar: https://www.usautomatic.com/solar-gate-opener-patriot
                              Wireless Keypad: https://www.usautomatic.com/solar-ga...s-keypad-metal
                              Wired low draw keypad (recommended for a solar setup): http://www.gatecrafters.com/product_detail_34644.aspx
                              wired keypad installation manual: https://docs.usautomatic.com/pro/how...to_english.pdf
                              I have used the US Automatic for two years now with not a single issue. Their auto exit magnetic wand is a little difficult to install but that was not too bad. We put everything in ourselves and even without "expert installation" its been great.

Put it at the road but leave yourself plenty of room to pull of the road with a trailer while the gate opens. You will also want the room for when you are pulling out of your driveway if there is ever traffic. I would run power to the gate and use a 110V unit with a battery backup, mount a controls box at the gate and you can power a camera off of that and have a small hard drive in the controls box to store video. There are also wifi cameras that have 250ft+ ranges now you could use, most just need power.

Comment

Working...
                              X