Dilemma...Advice Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma...Advice Wanted

So I have been hunting this place for 4 years and it has been a lot of fun. I have killed some good axis, whitetails are getting better, but none worth shooting yet. Well, the land owner put 25 goats in the section of land that I am hunting and now they are all in my pen eating my protein, alfalfa and corn.

So I can add cattle panels to keep the goats out, but it also keeps out the axis fawns, whitetail fawns and all blackbuck.

Should I add cattle panels and just keep hunting OR should I just leave 3 strands of barb wire and hope for the best? If I don't put up cattle panel I will be feeding his goats, but how much will 25 goats eat?

OR worse case scenario, should I just finish the year and get off?

UGH, I hate these decisions.
    Last edited by bowsticker; 10-15-2021, 01:40 PM.

I'd move the corn feeder out and fence the protein and alfalfa.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
      I'd move the corn feeder out and fence the protein and alfalfa.
      So put the Corn Feeder where they can all get some of the corn? I hadn't thought about that at all

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
        So put the Corn Feeder where they can all get some of the corn? I hadn't thought about that at all
        You don't need to worry about fawns and blackbuck getting the supplemental feed (protein and alfalfa). I don't think the goats are going to compete with the deer on the corn. But you might want to hand corn on the days you hunt, and bring a slingshot!

Comment

How about cattle panels around the protein feeder and leave the corn feeder as is?

Comment

Duane beat me to it

Comment

fence it out. I wouldn't worry about the fawns. They get what they need from momma.

Comment

Goats are the worst, it's hard to anything to keep them out.

Comment

Kill the goats and tell the owner they died ?

Comment

Just put a 40" fence around the corn feeder or both. Works for us.

Comment

Pen it off even if it’s just protein. Don’t get off though unless something else horrible is going on, sounds like a great place outside of the goats of course. Target rich environment!

Comment

I think you should get off and give me land owner contact info.

Comment

If you leave the corn feeder out, I think the goats would come running when it does off.

Comment

If you decide the pen route make sure the squares in your panels are small enough where they can’t get their heads through and then hang up because of there horns or you’ll show up to 12 dead goats at your feeder and every buzzard in the county has set up a mail box. Don’t ask me how I know.

Comment

Don't worry about the fawns and black buck. Pen everything off with 36" hog panel. Once those goats realize they can't get to the feed, the will not be around your setup near as often.

Comment

Working...
                              X