Cover scents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover scents?

When do you use a cover scent and when do you not? What is your preference for a cover scent and why?
    I traditionally have avoided all scents.

I never use cover scents.

The goal for me is minimize my scent and then hunt the wind…ALWAYS. Hunt the wind.

Comment

I minimize my scent and break up some fresh cedar branches and store my clothes in a bag or cooler with the branches

Comment

I use. Lol never mind

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
          I never use cover scents.

The goal for me is minimize my scent and then hunt the wind…ALWAYS. Hunt the wind.

This. I would also add learn how thermals work.

Comment

That’s not how a deer nose even works scientifically

When I was in high school and the smartest person on planet earth, I would do stupid things…. And I would brush my teeth after drinking… to hide the smell

I smelled like a drunk with clean teeth.

Cologne is extremely strong…. But spray it on someone that smokes… they smell like a smoker with hi karate

And our noses SUCK compared to an animal

Comment

I use persimmon scented corn. When I empty a bag, I put my hunting clothes in that bag. I shower with dead down wind before going hunting. Doubt I fool every nose, but I have deer closer to me than anyone else on the lease.

Comment

I keep skunk scent in a small mason jar and just crack the lid and place it so I don’t have to smell it. Someone on TBH recommended to try it and it works well for tricky wind days

Comment

Scent thief

Comment

Smoke works wonders, clothes in an apple flavored corn bag (AC’s ideer), grind up cedar when they get close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vanilla

Comment

I hunt around a ton of cedars. I take a little tiny cedar leaf and put it in with my clothes while drying. Have no clue if it works but I only have one stand and hunt it no matter the wind and seem to do ok.

Comment

I store my hunting clothes in a tote with pieces of pine knot. Not trying to cover any scent, but they are going to smell like something.

Comment

I get my wife to make my scent wicks! All kidding aside I use small piles of sweet feed so when the wind swirls I’m covered. Usually. Some come to it on a rope. I watched a buck come to it this morning He walked up to and smelled and jumped backwards about three feet. Then came back a second time and nosed it. Walked off and never flagged. He headed west with his nose on the ground.
                            Last edited by Hogmauler; 11-05-2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I use skunk scent---take an old medicine bottle, stuff with cotton, put a couple of drops of scent on the cotton and put the lid on. One for each stand, and when I hunt the stand, I just remove the lid and leave it on the ground--same level as the deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X