Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good smoked pork butt recipe

On an egg style smoker.

I marinate mine in Dr Pepper for the night before.

Then I hit with HEB pepper blend grinder, garlic powder, and holliers or uncle J cajun seasoning. Any favorite cajun seasoning will work. Then a light rub down of brown sugar. Throw it in, let it roll until it hits 198-200. No wrapping ever.

Once it's done I wrap in pink butcher papers and a towel, and set in the cooler for a few hours until I'm ready to shred it. Comes out amazing every time.

Usually mix in some of the drippings I catch, a little tiger sauce and franklins sweet vinegar sauce when shredding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

Then I hit with HEB pepper blend grinder, garlic powder, and holliers or uncle J cajun seasoning. Any favorite cajun seasoning will work. Then a light rub down of brown sugar. Throw it in, let it roll until it hits 198-200. No wrapping ever.

Once it's done I wrap in pink butcher papers and a towel, and set in the cooler for a few hours until I'm ready to shred it. Comes out amazing every time.

Usually mix in some of the drippings I catch, a little tiger sauce and franklins sweet vinegar sauce when shredding.

I do them very similar but cook them in a pan with the Dr. Pepper. Cooking 4 right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
        I do them very similar but cook them in a pan with the Dr. Pepper. Cooking 4 right now
        Nice. I've done that as well. But I personally like the 360* bark more. I do them with a pan sitting underneath to catch the drippings.

They're almost all good. Pork is hard to screw up! Not near as difficult as brisket!

Comment

About how long does it take to get to temp.

Comment

The last one I did, I injected it with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter. It was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              In my experience about 50-60 minutes per pound, I don't inject or brine. I let it come to.room temp then slather with mustard and your favorite pork rub. Smoke it till 160° then wrap. Bring to 205° and put in a big pan and let cool. Unwrap it in that pan and pull then mix in all the juice. Sprinkle in some of your rub and add bbq sauce if you want. Iv never had a complaint.
              Last edited by twistedmidnite; 05-16-2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                8 hours or so at 250

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                    In my experience about 50-60 minutes per pound, I don't inject or brine. I let it come to.room temp then slather with mustard and your favorite pork rub. Smoke it till 160° then wrap. Bring to 205° and put in a big pan and let cool. Unwrap it in that pan and pull then mix in all the juice. Sprinkle in some of your rub and add bbq sauce if you want. Iv never had a complaint.
                    This is how I do mine also. I like a rub that is sweet for any pork I smoke. I also prefer smoking my pork butts on my stick burner instead of my REC TEC 590. The stick burner has a much better bark than the pellet grill.

VVVVVV---Rub link video. This stuff is great.

Comment

I just cover in mustard and SandP. 225-250 for 8-10 hrs. Wrap in foil when you get to around 150 if you want to speed it up a bit. You’re done once you hit 200-205.

Comment

I loosely follow this video everytime I smoke a pork butt and my family and I have never been disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

I also hit mine with a little brown sugar right before it goes on the smoker. Makes for a killer yummy bark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for the idea's. My wife did 1/2 of a 9 lb. roast in a crock pot, fat side up. I did the other 1/2 in the egg smoker, I did fat side up also. I de boned the roast before cooking.Why we did it in half, I don't like it in a crock pot. Both were very tender, and mine had a great bark. They both took about 6 hours.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I had to make an injection this weekend on the fly. I used maple syrup, worcestershire, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, rub, a touch of chili powder, and thinned it with some water before injecting. In total I injected about 3/4 cup of this. Rubbed with mustard, Texas Rib Rub, Reo's rib rub, brown sugar and black pepper. Put on a stick burner 9-10 hours at 250 or so. It was more than surprising how well this came out.

Comment

Working...
                              X