Pecan tree advice and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan tree advice and help

My wife and I had a pecan tree planted last year in our yard around June. It was a little later than I’d have wanted to plant but it was what it was. I’ve watered it and fertilized it religiously and spray pesticide if I see any signs of pest damage. The tree seems to be flourishing very well and is a beautiful tree. It’s bearing more fruit than I had anticipated which has me hopefully for homemade pecan pie and home made vanilla ice cream soon!

I’ve noticed there are some lower leaves turning brown and have found that it may be a fungus. The fungus I’ve read about doesn’t seem to hurt the tree or fruit but only certain leaves. The tree is about 18-20’ tall at the moment

So, I’m hoping there are some pecan tree experts that may have some suggestions on what to do for the leaves (if anything) and if there is anything I should be doing on top of lightly fertilizing once a month and keeping it adequately watered.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe to much fertilizer and burning the tree?.... cool to see that many pecans on a tree that size. I'd like to buy a few for our place, im just worried because they require alittle more attention than other new trees.

Comment

Not a pecan expert.. but possibly overwatering it? I was told if the leaves face downward then it needs more water. If they face upwards then it’s good.

Comment

Pecans like zinc. You can spay it on them once or twice a year. Some pecans will get scab which is a fungus. Regions with high humidity it is worst in. That doesn't look like scab to me.
        It will get little black spots all over the leaves and nuts and then it will run together. It will destroy a crop.

The tree looks healthy to me in the pictures where you are showing all of it.

The black/brown leaves could be from aphidids or something else? Doesn't look bad to me since it is not all over the tree?

You can Google pecan fungus and it will tell you what to spray. High humidity is hard on most paper shell pecan trees

Comment

Same thing here!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just curious as to how long the tap root was and how it was planted.

Comment

Man they are Pecans is my answer. Keep giving em water. It’s super hot.

Comment

It looks like bacteria leaf scorching
                Google that and see if it not what it is.

Comment

I'm having the same on all of my pecan trees also. I'm chalking it up to the lack of rain and scorching heat.

Comment

Hopefully Sackett will see this and chime in.

Comment

Go see your local extension agent. Looks like BLS.

Comment

That’s a beautiful tree. About how big was it when you got it? Cost? Was it purchased local?
                        Thanks

Comment

I am no help to your questions DD but fill us in on where you got your tree, name of brand, was it grafted, size etc. Pecans in one year that’s amazing with what little knowledge I have on pecan trees. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            I am no help to your questions DD but fill us in on where you got your tree, name of brand, was it grafted, size etc. Pecans in one year that’s amazing with what little knowledge I have on pecan trees. Thanks.
                            He got pecans in one year, because the tree was stressed from transplanting, probably won't see them again for a few yrs.
                            You can get pecans off a 5ft tree that's a 1 yr old if you stress it enough.
                            Saw a lot of it after snowmageddon.
                            Dapper, my trees do that every year and it's never been a issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                              Just curious as to how long the tap root was and how it was planted.

Was transplanted out of a 36” x 36” wide box that was a little over 24” tall.

Comment

Working...
                              X