Survival kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survival kit

I know there has been a thread or 4 about it but my search function is not working for some reason. It says I don’t have permission to access this page....

Anyway after reading the thread about the unfortunate hunter who was found deceased after trailing a pig then last night I watched on, Prime video, a documentary called Missing 411: The Hunted. It has a lot to do with hunters that inexplicably go missing, at times, without a trace.
    Not the greatest documentary I’ve ever watched but kinda cool nonetheless

It got me thinkin about “what if” and that got me thinkin that I need to just go ahead and put together a survival pack. What would you put in one?

I’ve already got my lensatic compass that I’ve had since my usmc days and a fire starter .... what else Would you carry

lighter- (fire, signal help)

emergency blanket.- foil type, weighs maybe 1oz and is nothing to pack. (keeps body heat in, and keep moisture off your body overnight)

Yeah you could build a big kit, with lots of extras. Water filter, all kinds of stuff, but in reality you just need to stay warm and dry for 24-48hours till someone finds you. (This is for normal stand hunting/ tracking, off grind you're going to be better prepared anyway.)

The best thing to do in a real emergency. (lost) Get to an opening. Build a fire and stay put.
    Last edited by BassMaster13; 01-12-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Depends on the size of the pack you desire, but I would start with thermal Blanket, Small Kinlin, water packets or Life Straw (small and easy to carry), knife, small first aid kit just as a start.

Comment

Among the usual items never forget a good trauma kit. If I have a major bleeding event on my hands that is priority.

Scalpel, artery forceps (never enough), pressure bandages, tourniquets, Iodine, IV bag with catheter needles.

Comment

Garmin inReach beacon or something similar would definitely be in my pack

Comment

I have a "bugout" bag that always stays in my truck. It has the usual stuff in it for that type of thing. I have a small hatchet in there, some light wool blanket and a thermal blanket. A change of light clothes. 2 different ways to start a fire, flint/steel and some cotton balls, and a lighter. (cotton balls make an amazing starter, pull them apart a bit and it takes only a spark to light it. easier and cheaper than anything else.) I have a basic first aid kit with mostly bandages and cleaning stuff, as well as clotting bandages. For hunters that is super important, accidently cut your self really good, shoot yourself, get stuck with an arrow, accidents can happen no matter the likelyhood of it. I don't consider a gun apart of this kit. Flashlight/headlamp, compass, and lastly I try to keep a few long lasting bars in there and eat and replace them as they get close to going bad.

Comment

550 cord and duct tape. Firestarter (primitive and modern) first aid kit and e-blanket

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

M&M's and Moon pies.

Comment

Had a guide years ago in Colorado that carried a road flare.
                  He said that a person that is cold, wet, shivering has trouble getting a fire started even with a fire starter kit or butane lighter. Compound that with rains that have soaked all the available deadwood and you have a bad situation.
                  He said that a road flare is waterproof, always lights and burns so long and so hot that it can even get water soaked wood burning.
                  Being a skeptic, in deer camp I submerged one in a water puddle for an hour, and gathered up some rain soaked wood. That water soaked flare lit right up and got that pile of wet wood going with no trouble.
                  Had one in my backpack ever since.

Comment

My pack has
                    1. Lighter
                    2 faro stick and petroleum jelly soaked dryer lint
                    3. Morakniv serrated
                    4 led emergency flashlight extra aaa battery’s
                    5 first aid kit
                    6. Emergency blanket
                    7 emergency cell charger
                    My truck is full of more stuff than I can list
                    Extra large medical kit
                    Fire starter

Comment

The key is to make it small/light enough to make sure you have it at all times. A ton of high dollar stuff does you know good if it's in the truck or camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        The key is to make it small/light enough to make sure you have it at all times. A ton of high dollar stuff does you know good if it's in the truck or camp.
                        Best advice yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          I came here to say the same thing. Most suggestions in here were too much for most to CONSISTENTLY carry with them on their person every time they head out. It does no good in the truck when you’re on foot.

I’ve always got my bino pack on me when I had out. It’s not a ton, but I’ve got an energy bar, a headlamp, a beanie, and my binos in there. In my pocket is a pocket knife, cell phone, a lighter, a flashlight, a spare battery, and 21 rounds of 9mm on my hip. I grab a water bottle as well. Sometimes I grab my hunting pack for a stroll around the ranch etc. It has an emergency blanket, first aid kit with extra gauze, bandages, TQ, and quick clot. Has a larger flashlight, another mag, rain gear, a couple more energy bars, water tablets, and 60 oz more water. I only carry that maybe 30% of the time. It’s definitely handy, but it’s too inconvenient for me to grab every time.

The flashlight and water bottle are by far the two things I won’t leave without.

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                            Had a guide years ago in Colorado that carried a road flare.
                            He said that a person that is cold, wet, shivering has trouble getting a fire started even with a fire starter kit or butane lighter. Compound that with rains that have soaked all the available deadwood and you have a bad situation.
                            He said that a road flare is waterproof, always lights and burns so long and so hot that it can even get water soaked wood burning.
                            Being a skeptic, in deer camp I submerged one in a water puddle for an hour, and gathered up some rain soaked wood. That water soaked flare lit right up and got that pile of wet wood going with no trouble.
                            Had one in my backpack ever since.
                            Learn something new everyday

Comment

Flare is a great idea, will add a couple to my mountain pack for sure. Ive been told Blue is the most unnatural color so look for tarps, blankets etc in that color. A blue blob will stand out and help you be seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X