No announcement yet.

Advice on storm shelters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the FEMA grant I'm on list and still waiting. We have 3 tornadoes close by but the forth took my carport and the roof. Which came to rest in the tall tree above my trailer in my neighbors driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy does the concrete under ground for $3500. He installs quite a few.

Comment

having a shelter could only increase the value of your home, if I lived in tornado alley I would have one if I had to take out a second mortgage.

Comment

I got an above ground shelter installed in my garage about 2 months ago. And - I got the FEMA rebate that I applied for several years ago. (They have since ended the FEMA rebate program.) The rebate paid for 50% of the costs up to $4K.

I looked at both above ground and below ground. All makes and models. At first - I only wanted a below ground shelter probably for all the reasons why most think that's what they want too. The more I researched, the more I changed my mind.

First - I wanted one inside my house. I didn't like the idea of parading my wife and 3 daughters outside, in the rain, hail, lightning, etc. to get in a dirty shelter. Studies show that if the shelter is inside the house, you are much more likely to use it and use it with plenty of time prior to a tornado hitting.

The below ground/garage type shelters are very attractive. They don't take up any room, but they are not for everyone. There could be issues with the installation if you have a relatively newer house/slab that is post-tension. (BTW - side note, there are many customer examples of issues scattered throughout the interwebs about screwed up installations of these in-ground/garage type shelters. There are no governing bodies regulating in-ground shelters. Normally I'm all for fewer gov't regulations, but this is an industry that could probably benefit from a little oversight. So do your research to decide what salesman you are going to believe and why.) Some areas have soils that are really prone to shifting. This could really screw up your home's foundation at the most, and at the least, it could really screw up your shelter and prevent the lid from closing or opening. Of course, there are also flooding concerns too. Entrapment issues, even with some models providing hydraulic jacks. Oh - and what happens if the house collapses and then catches on fire. Roasted.

Yeah - That's why I went with the above ground option. Anchored with the Hilti-anchoring system. Although regulations are non-existing, almost every manufacturer that wants to sell shelters will pay to have their shelter tested at Texas Tech. They shoot 2x4s at many points of the shelter and measure the dent depth and come up with a score. Still, haven't seen any anchoring system tests and those seem like they would be pretty important. One company i saw (that was using Hilti anchors) drove a heavy sled at a fast speed into an anchored shelter and it stayed anchored. Made for a cool video and sold me on it, but I'm not sure how scientific it was.

Comment

Had an inground concrete shelter put in last year after a tornado passed about 2 miles from the house. Close enough for me. It was less than 3k installed.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Coonazz what brand did you get?

Comment

I would say get a shelter below ground!

Comment

Register it with your local fire department. That way they know it's there and to check it incase a tornado comes through your area.

Comment

Originally posted by d12 View Post
                    register it with your local fire department. That way they know it's there and to check it incase a tornado comes through your area.
                    the county emergency folks will need the info....

Comment

I received my FEMA rebate notice yesterday after being on the Hunt Co. list for several years. I am now looking for an installer. I have heard mention of installers who would accept the rebate as payment, where anything over the allotted 3k would be paid upon completion of the job. Have any of you had any experience with this or know an installer in the North Tx. area I should do business with. I want an underground concrete or fiberglass shelter if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                        I received my FEMA rebate notice yesterday after being on the Hunt Co. list for several years. I am now looking for an installer. I have heard mention of installers who would accept the rebate as payment, where anything over the allotted 3k would be paid upon completion of the job. Have any of you had any experience with this or know an installer in the North Tx. area I should do business with. I want an underground concrete or fiberglass shelter if that matters.

PM Sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Tornado Shelters Act allows residents to use grant money to construct home parks for community development. Suppose you want to build a storm shelter with federal assistance. In that case, the park must be home to low and moderate-income households, and it must be in a state where a tornado occurred in the last three years. The neighborhood must build a shelter that can accommodate all park members and have a forewarning siren. I prefer having dehydrated butter in the store because it lasts a long time.
                          Last edited by Restaurateur; 07-28-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Restaurateur; 07-28-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                              I have been curious about the ones that are installed into an existing garage floor. I even thought about installing them as a side gig. I would be afraid of the house falling on the door and trapping you in there. Anybody ever had one of these installed?
                              We built a garage for an American airline pilot. Garage was for all his race cars and stuff. We also installed a steel in ground storm shelter. The company came in a set the shelter and poured concrete around it to keep it from moving then we poured our floor around it. Neighbors liked it so much the purchased one for there garage. The company saw cut about 1 foot larger than the shelter and then poured it into place. See if I can find any pics.

I built my own but thats for another post when I feel like posting tons of pics.

Comment

Does anyone have a link to the FEMA shelter rebate program?

Comment

Working...
                                X