Flying with a handgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a handgun

Who all has done this? Do you recommend a TSA or non-TSA lock for your case?

Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done it a number of times. Used TSA just avoid any hassles. Flew SWA w/o any issues.

Comment

Do it all the time. Have a tsa approved case but they call me over the intercoms to unlock it if they need in. It’s really not difficult, just adds a few mins to your check in and your bag will be the last to come out, at least on American, it’s red tagged and requires you to show an ID to receive it back into your possession

Comment

If flying southwest it is cake. I keep a TSA lock on my luggage but small keyed locks on my case. They will make you sign a declaration at check-in with your address, confirmation number and a few more things. They will check it and have you stand around in case they need a further inspection and then you are good to go.
        Last edited by Jon B; 04-06-2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I use a TSA lock on the case and have had them inspect it both in front of me and in the background when I wasn't there. Sometimes they just have me fill out the form and don't look at it.

Comment

Look up the rules and requirements of both TSA and the airlines you plan on traveling with. Abide by the rules and you should be fine, just be aware that sometimes the agent you’re dealing with may not know the regulations that he is inspecting by so it may be a good idea to make a copy and carry them in your carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
              Look up the rules and requirements of both TSA and the airlines you plan on traveling with. Abide by the rules and you should be fine, just be aware that sometimes the agent you’re dealing with may not know the regulations that he is inspecting by so it may be a good idea to make a copy and carry them in your carry on.

Could not agree more. Probably a decent idea to print out the regs and be prepared to ask for a different gate agent or TSA agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                Done it a number of times. Used TSA just avoid any hassles. Flew SWA w/o any issues.

This.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’ve been on TSA and SW’s website. Great idea to print out a copy for my carryon.

Thanks,
                  Skooter

Comment

I’ve used tsa approved and non tsa approved locks and haven’t had a problem. I won’t use TSA approved locks again. It may cause a little extra headache, but you avoid the rampant theft that plagues that agency.

Comment

Just make sure you have a lock on each locking area. If case has 2, need 2 locks.

Comment

Just got back from our trip. We flew SW, and it was very smooth both ways. Definitely not something to worry over.

Thanks everyone,
                        Skooter

Comment

Glad to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                          X