Yaupon Tea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yaupon Tea?

I am curious if anyone has tried yaupon tea? I have read an article or two and first heard about it on The Texas Bucket List (or maybe it was the Texas Country Reporter)

Anyway, I have been meaning to try it sometimes, especially since there is no shortage of yaupon on our land. I had always heard the story about it being used by the natives in purging rituals, hence the scientific name ilex vomitoria. But supposedly it was given that name due to political reasons and not wanting to hurt the British Tea trade.

Supposedly, the tea is superior to the normal tea we drink. Anyone?

Boy Scouts....I have plenty here if you want it...free...it has a lot of caffeine

Comment

Sure, have made it many times. Very good, has sort of a minty taste. Has caffeine also, and is a good coffee substitute. Be sure to use the leaves, not the fruit (berries). Dry or roast the leaves and seep as with tea or coffee in hot water.

Comment

I hate yaupons with every bone in my body. Even if one sip of that tea would make me a extremely wealthy and skinny, I would still pass and then swing my machete at it!!!!

Comment

Yaupon Tea?

Originally posted by wickll View Post
          I am curious if anyone has tried yaupon tea? I have read an article or two and first heard about it on The Texas Bucket List (or maybe it was the Texas Country Reporter)

Anyway, I have been meaning to try it sometimes, especially since there is no shortage of yaupon on our land. I had always heard the story about it being used by the natives in purging rituals, hence the scientific name ilex vomitoria. But supposedly it was given that name due to political reasons and not wanting to hurt the British Tea trade.

Supposedly, the tea is superior to the normal tea we drink. Anyone?

We just had a timber plan written up and the guy was a local foraging expert. He talked about the Indians preparing for battle by ceremonially drinking the tea to get high. Like super caffeine apparently. Also learned the bright green tips of the green briar vine where the tendrils grow taste better than asparagus. Also that my box elders which I got plenty can be tapped as they are an Acer (maple). And I was gonna tap my sugar berries (hackberry)for syrup lol. Oh and every ditch weed that flowers is some kind of medicine. Food and medicine all around us. Too bad we humans have a history of losing wisdom through war and conquest.

Imagine what a Caddo elder could teach you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Ætheling; 07-19-2022, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I mean, the scientific name includes vomitoria for a reason.. I don't think you want to be drinking to much of this stuff.

Sassafras is the best tea by far! Boil some skinned roots in water until the water is a deep red and it's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
              I mean, the scientific name includes vomitoria for a reason.. I don't think you want to be drinking to much of this stuff.

Sassafras is the best tea by far! Boil some skinned roots in water until the water is a deep red and it's amazing.
              I thought the same thing for years. But either on the tv show , or in some articles I read, the whole thing about the vomitoria was "fake news" of that era. Supposedly they didn't want it to catch on.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby314 View Post
                I hate yaupons with every bone in my body. Even if one sip of that tea would make me a extremely wealthy and skinny, I would still pass and then swing my machete at it!!!!
                Our place has plenty of yaupon. But I will take yaupon over huisache and rose hedge any day.

Last edited by wickll; 07-19-2022, 06:57 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I have Yaupons I’m willing to sell cheap for anyone wanting to make tea.

Comment

Never tried it, but i would if i had some to try.

Comment

Well there you go. AN entire website.

Yaupon tea is known for its many health benefits. Learn about the phytochemistry of this plant and which compounds contribute to its natural healing abilities.

Comment

On another foraging note I have 24 oz of Reishi mushroom extract I made over the summer if anyone around New Waverly area wants any. Apparently it is found in over 55 percent of breast caner drugs. It is a natural anti carcogenic. Just throwing the offer out there.

Comment

I made a similar thread a few months back. My kids picked the leaves and dried them out in the sun. Steeped it like any other tea. It reminded me of drinking fresh green tea. IMO it tastes better as a cold tea. I would drink it again.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I make it from time to time. Dry leaves in the oven or dehydrator. I like it, and have never puked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dai Due serves this stuff, we liked it enough when we ate there that we bought a box of it from them before we left.

CatSpring Yaupon sustainably wild harvests yaupon tea, the only caffeinated plant native to North America using classic tea preparation methods to create yaupon tea. We are 100% organic, non-gmo, sustainable, and committed to social justice causes through our People First program.

Comment

Working...
                              X