Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most. Northern axis

What's the most northern area of texas to have free range axis

There are a few out around Possum Kingdom Lake, but I don’t think they are terribly widespread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have seen a few before the freeze up in Knox Co. but not since. Have seen a few fallow though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        There are a few out around Possum Kingdom Lake, but I don’t think they are terribly widespread.

Wow, that is way further north than I thought. I hunt around the Melvin area, and I really didn't think they were much further north than us

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
          Wow, that is way further north than I thought. I hunt around the Melvin area, and I really didn't think they were much further north than us
          Actually they are much farther north and west than Melvin but only because the have escaped HF properties.. I'm not sure how far from their core hill country areas they would naturally migrate. Those suckers do travel though!!!

Comment

I’ve seen them around Possum Kingdom as well. That was 10-15 years ago.

I’ve got a few running around near Valera

Comment

i have seen black buck surviving near Aspermont

Comment

There is a ranch near Sonora that was hauling the carcasses away by the truck load after snowvid last year.

Comment

We had one here in Burlytown 20 years ago. Had a couple folks I knew who were feeding it by their back fence. It finally just disappeared. Wife hunted. But husband didn't. Most of the deer are getting pushed out-of-town now due to all the development.

Comment

JJ Matt has some in Clarendon up by Amarillo. Not a lot up this far north, if they can survive.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                      There is a ranch near Sonora that was hauling the carcasses away by the truck load after snowvid last year.
                      I may well have been hunting the very ranch you’re talking about. If not, I was definitely in the area that weekend.

They were finding dead Axis and black buck Friday the 12th while it was still blowing in. I can’t say I’ve ever been colder than I was that weekend, it was flat out miserable.

Comment

Water valley. Robert lee. As far as free range. I’m sure they spread northwest of there as well. High fence there’s some way more north.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                          i have seen black buck surviving near Aspermont
                          since the feb. 2021 freeze?

Comment

There are several ranches in the panhandle that have them. They do ok with good cover and great feed. Winters can be hell on them and the antlers and ears get freeze damage up here. Not sure of any free range ones up here but there are some behind fences.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                              since the feb. 2021 freeze?
                              We seen 4 survivor BB on a pasture between eldorado and big lake and had some red stag move in to a feeding station since the freeze
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-08-2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X