Just another rifle blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just another rifle blind

I met up with my Brother-n-law at my parent's 60th Wedding anniversary back at the end of Sept. He said he had gotten on another lease again, with his other brother-n-law (not me ). And he was looking a blinds. Then he got around to asking if I could build him one since this would be my nephew's first time hunting. My nephew is 16. And I've been wondering when or if he would come around to the outdoor scene. Anyway, my BNL is one to only buy quality stuff. So I agreed to build him a 4x6 tower blind with that in mind.

I have already started this project. And will update as things progress. My goal is to have it complete before next weekend as they are going down to their lease to set up a feeder and other stuff. So progression will be over the next few days. I've nearly completed the tower the box will sit on at the present. And will explain as I update the pics for yall.

The tower is all metal. And the box will have a metal base and frame for the walls and roof.

The box and tower will be two separate pieces. And bolted together before standing it up.

Here is a pic of the box base and tower top in the inverted position. I built the base first to help hold the tower top square while building the tower. Also to make sure every thing is square and stays that way. The box base is biult out of 2"x3" x 11ga rectangular tubing. The tower top is 2"x2"x3/16" angle iron and sits inside the box base with 1/8" opening both directions so it is not to tight of a fit when putting together. And give a little bitty space for the inside welds of the box base. And outside welds of the angle that fits the inside. It also allows for it to come apart easily if they have to move it later. 1/8" is all that is needed in this case. The pieces you see running counter across it are to help hold the fabricated rectangles square at the corners. When welding the inside welds, the metal will "pull" as the welds cool. The bracing helps hold it in place as the welds cool and keep things square.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161003_130400 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	24465538

Name:	20161003_130428 - Copy.jpg
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	24465539

Name:	20161003_130444 - Copy.jpg
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	24465540

Comment

Here is a pic of the tower in the inverted position with the box base still attached. It is already drilled and bolted in place to help keep things square. And to make sure the holes align after the tower is complete. This just makes getting the angle on the legs easier to set, as I'm working by my self on a very uneven surface . The legs are out of 2'x2" 11ga square tubing. They are welded directly to the tower top frame. I used a regular chop saw for the angles for the legs. One cut gives a 2' in 10' (Or about 15 degrees) . So that the foot print is 8' x 10' for a 4'x6' box when stood upright. I could have made it easier by welding in some 2-1/2"x2-1/2"x1/4" tubing one foot long to the tower top. And slid the legs up inside during assembly. But that would be no fun . And meant buying a short supply of that thicker tubing. Also meant having to bolt together the X-beams that keep things square, rather than welding them in place for less squeak. I cans still add that later if I want the legs to be longer. And the box much higher off the ground.

Name:	20161005_124607 - Copy.jpg
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	24465541
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-07-2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

In this pic you can see I've added the porch and am skinning it with 3/4" #9 expanded metal. The outside of the porch frame goes under the tower top at the 4' side, and across to the outside edges (6' sides) to help hold the corners square by the top of the legs once welded in place. That means I can remove any bracing on the tower top that I had to help hold it square. Note the box base is still in place.

Name:	20161007_152020 - Copy.jpg
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	24465542

Comment

Here, I have the expanded metal trimmed and welded in place. And am fabbing up the hand rails that will fit on any two of the three sides of the porch pending which side the ladder is put on.

Name:	20161007_181604 - Copy.jpg
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	24465543

Comment

Tomorrow, I will build the ladder and steps from 1"x1" square tube and 4" cee-perlin. It, like the hand rails, will bolt on also for ease of transport.

Comment

Day late and a dollar shorter . Had some other stuff to take care of yesterday. Got the tower moved out of the way. And stair steps done except for paint. Pic is from the top end of steps. Rails are set at 25 degrees. OAL is 12 foot. Makes for an easy climb using the 1x1 for a hand rail. Steps are 12" apart.

Name:	20161009_122344 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	24465659
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-09-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Now, on to the box.

Comment

I like your style.

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

Looks great Mike!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's solid Michael! Great job sir.

Comment

Thanks all . If this somehow helps someone else, all the better.
                          Started setting the corner post and frame top on the box this evening. I'm also going to cross brace the box base for the flooring so that the flooring will have many years of life before it need replacing. And the floor material will take a greater load with the additional support. Don't want anybody falling through the floor in years to come.

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                          That's solid Michael! Great job sir.
                          That tower is pretty "solid" all right . And can still be handled by just one rundown old man (me) . Thanks brother.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X