Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get to...

Comment

Wow, thanks! I tried and tried. Hope I am better at frame swaps than I am at posting a picture online....

Comment

Slowly but surely

I was able to put in a couple more hours on the project this past weekend. I set it all up and used a level to really get a little more precise on how far back the fenders and grill needed to go, in order to be center over the tire in the wheel well.
        Started out needing to move the fenders back a little over 10 inches. Trimmed back the frame horns 8 inches and pulled the radiator. Did some other minor trimming to the firewall and floorboards.
        At the end of the day, I only need 4 inches left. It looks like I will be able to get that by some careful trimming of the backside of the grill in the cradle for the old radiator. Crossing my fingers on that. Will go to an electric cooling fan on the radiator and will move the ac condenser to the bed with an electric fan. Lots to cram in a little bitty space. Sometimes think that an Explorer donor would have simplified all this...
        Top pic is at the start of the day, and second one is at the end. White masking tape is marking centerline of the wheel well--my goal.
        Attached Files

Comment

and someday I will figure out the mystery of my phone and posting pics right side up.

Comment

So it has been awhile since posting anything. Was able to move the front clip back to about where I want it to be a couple weeks ago. Decided to remove all floorboard and firewall from the Dakota and just make my own cab mounts--gooood decision! Set the cab on blocks and front clip on blocks about where it will all set. Now looking to start fabbing up clip and cab mounts. Wish me luck!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hboy35 View Post
              So it has been awhile since posting anything. Was able to move the front clip back to about where I want it to be a couple weeks ago. Decided to remove all floorboard and firewall from the Dakota and just make my own cab mounts--gooood decision! Set the cab on blocks and front clip on blocks about where it will all set. Now looking to start fabbing up clip and cab mounts. Wish me luck!
              Nice work!

Comment

Very Cool Project! Any progress?

Comment

This is cool! I love old trucks!

Comment

Fun

Comment

Can’t leave us hanging like this.

Comment

This is very saddening, should have sold the whole truck to someone else and let them restore it. Makes no sense to put it on a Dakota frame, putting that old body on a Dodge 1 ton dually frame would have been bad, but a Dakota? I refuse to what any of those shows where they butcher up old cars, saying they are customizing them, acting like they are making them better.

I can see doing a brake upgrade, maybe adding power steering for the wimps and a few other modern upgrades. I have seen so many, where someone has really Fed up some cool old vehicles.

Comment

Sorry about the delay in updating. I have been slowly working on it.

So, I made my own cab mounts and front end mounts and got it set on the frame. I have been busy with doing things like hooking up the brakes and steering linkage--I know, silly details, but are really cool if I ever want to drive it. For now, I just have a bed sitting in place on the back. I chopped the frame from the extended cab length to standard cab length (took out 19"), found a shorter driveshaft and installed it, shortened brake lines, fuel lines, etc. I drove it off the driveway last week and around the place. Just doing some other small tasks like getting my electric cooling fan wired and stuffing all the wires up under the dash.
                          I will get more pics posted soon. Thank you for all the kind comments and encouragement.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Glad to see it's coming together and is now drive-able. Great build!

Comment

WOW... lots of progress! It's looking incredible, keep us posted on the progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X