Tractor mowing wanting to learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor mowing wanting to learn

Looking to learn how to use a tractor before I buy one. Willing to cut ur fields even to be able to be shown I live in DFW thanks also any tips!!!

Today’s tractors are pretty simple design & controls with hydrostatic trans
    I bought a John Deere with HST. PTO engagement is a push button control. Absolutely no clutch engagement to put it in Low or High, engage pto, or even engage 4WD
    I bought competitor modern Ag 5’ rotary cutter with galvanized deck. Has both shear bolt & slip clutch
    I’m in Troup Tx if you ever come this way I can show you the tractor
    I use my dads larger JD & it’s gear driven

Comment

ttt

Comment

Tractor Mike on You Tube has lots of good videos on tractors, implements, and use.

How to Brush Hog (or Bush Hog) for the first time and 10 other Tips:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USSFq5I6B6U"]How to Brush Hog (or Bush Hog) for the First Time...10 Tips That Make it Easier and Safer - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Ain't much to learn. Dealer should show you the basic operations, how to drive it, how to turn on the pto, how to raise and lower the 3 point. As far as mowing it's just like a giant riding mower. Lower the engine speed to idle, set the deck height, flip the switch, mower spins, then you raise the rpm to get the mower to cutting speed (usually 2000-ish rpm). After that drive around in circles cutting grass. Just like any mower watch out for obstacles and if it bogs down, up the rpm or cut less width. Easy peasy, even a city boy like me can do it.

Comment

Being careful operating a tractor on inclined areas cannot be stressed enough. Rollovers can be deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by dallred View Post
              Being careful operating a tractor on inclined areas cannot be stressed enough. Rollovers can be deadly.
              This^^^
              Steer clear (no pun intended) of ponds and steep inclines until you know your equipment’s capabilities. It only takes one mistake to have a very bad day.

I’ll add knowing the land’s layout in terms of hidden material, trash, rocks, etc is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                This^^^
                Steer clear (no pun intended) of ponds and steep inclines until you know your equipment’s capabilities. It only takes one mistake to have a very bad day.

I’ll add knowing the land’s layout in terms of hidden material, trash, rocks, etc is a must.
                Good info. Since the OP doesn’t have experience it would be best that he doesn’t start off with a batwing learning unless the area is flat and free of obstructions. I will say that even on batwings and 3 point mowers with safety chains, don’t expect those chains to protect you. Objects can still fly out and hit the tractor and you the operator. I had to mow about 200 acres of rough bottom land with an open station tractor and a 15 foot batwing. Pieces of tree limbs would shoot out and hit the back tires and that was even with safety chains. If they hit a person it would do some serious harm. I had to use an open station tractor because a larger cab tractor wouldn’t fit under those pecan trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  Tractor Mike on You Tube has lots of good videos on tractors, implements, and use.

How to Brush Hog (or Bush Hog) for the first time and 10 other Tips:

How to Brush Hog (or Bush Hog) for the First Time...10 Tips That Make it Easier and Safer - YouTube
                  yep, guy has a LOT of good advice and how-to s!

ALWAYS wear your seat belt on a tractor. If something bad happens, you'd rather be on it than off! Good luck.

Comment

If you want to drive to Fruitvale I can probably show you all you need to know in an afternoon.

-john

Comment

One other thing…….buy no tractor that’s not orange !

Comment

Go run somebodys 8n or 9n without a run off clutch brushogging after that everything will be a piece of cake.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                          yep, guy has a LOT of good advice and how-to s!

ALWAYS wear your seat belt on a tractor. If something bad happens, you'd rather be on it than off! Good luck.
                          I disagree. The seatbelt statement only hold true if it has ROPS.

Comment

Pay attention to your implements. I still catch myself almost hitting stuff because of the extra length behind me. Also, always remember not too turn too sharp with certain implements and never turn with a disk down!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              One other thing…….buy no tractor that’s not orange !
                              You can always count on one to give bad advice

My rotary cutter manual says to re-torque the blade carriage retaining nut to 450 ft-lbs after a 10-hour break in
                              Thankfully I called the dealer & they are going to take care of it

Comment

Working...
                              X