Diesel mileage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel mileage question

What is the max mileage y'all would buy for a used diesel? Looking at chevy/gmc and a little bit of ford. I've been finding a lot around 110k-150k miles in my price range.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well cared for trucks will just be getting broken in at 100k

Comment

Less than 200 I'd be okay with I believe.

Comment

My 97. Ford with 7.3 has 280k on it & runs great

Comment

It would depend on the year, how many owners, and if it were hwy miles or an everyday driver. If it's hwy miles that's less wear on other things.

Comment

Depends on the truck for me. Usually around 100K is no problem, if it's clean and you can tell it's been well cared for 150 isn't anything. If you find one you're serious about take it to a diesel shop and spend a little getting it looked over good. I'd rather spend $50 to find out it's a POS.

Comment

Bought my first dmax at 170k mikes and drive it to 230 and it ran like you wouldn't believe. If it was 4 wheel drive I would still have it. Few weeks before I sold it I drove it from kingsville to Oklahoma nonstop with the cruise set on 85 in some areas and I got 20mpg and the truck didn't care one bit

Comment

Bought my 03 Cummins at 198k now has 277k.

Comment

Would y'all trust the mechanics at a chevy/gmc dealer to say it's good?

Comment

GM/chevy I'd have no problem with one under 45-50 miles. Past that it's a risk ...

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      GM/chevy I'd have no problem with one under 45-50 miles. Past that it's a risk ...
                      This!! Diesels just aren't these same with all the omissions on them , any repair is very costly lots of YouTube videos about this

Comment

Originally posted by clint623 View Post
                        Would y'all trust the mechanics at a chevy/gmc dealer to say it's good?

Heck no, I don't trust anything that comes from a stealership. Find a good diesel shop close by and take it by.

Comment

Diesel mileage question

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                          This!! Diesels just aren't these same with all the omissions on them , any repair is very costly lots of YouTube videos about this

That's the kicker. A diesel is fine to buy with 150k on it but you better have 10k to spend on repairs the next week. There is a good chance you won't have to do any major repairs for another 100k and it would be a good truck. There is also the chance that you have a major repair on a 2013 f-250 with 99,000 miles that at 101,000 you are replacing the fuel system on. Major repairs on a modern diesel run from 7k to 18k. When diesels break nothing is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                          X