The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    Do y’all carry shooting sticks? I find it hard to shoot off hand at night with a thermal and then trying to shoot follow up shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes sir they do

We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

I meant use but thanks[emoji23]

Wondering if y’all use shooting sticks stalking hogs at night.

Comment

Do y’all carry shooting sticks? I find it hard to shoot off hand at night with a thermal and then trying to shoot follow up shots.

Everyone I hunt with runs a tripod.

Leofoto LN 364 with LH-40 ballhead. I run ARCA rails on all my night hunting rigs.
        Attached Files

Comment

I meant use but thanks[emoji23]

Wondering if y’all use shooting sticks stalking hogs at night.

We use (but don't sell) the Primos Gen 3 Trigger Stick for spotting and stalking. They are the most ingenious tripod design I've ever seen. Small, lightweight, quiet and the fasted on the market to setup and take down. They are a hog hunters dream. I own 3 sets of them.

When it comes to calling hogs or coyotes where you'll be standing in one location for awhile, we use and sell the Kopfjager Reaper Grip setups. They work with any rifle, AR, bolt gun, BB gun, you name it, they are rock solid and they will hold your rifle until the cows come home. But they aren't light weight and like all tripods you have to manually adjust each leg so it's no ideal for a lot of walking, spotting/stalking etc. But if you're in a fixed position for a while, they are fantastic.

When it comes to tripod setup that you attach your rifle to, there are a lot of good options out there. But for a lot walking and quick movements, the Trigger Sticks are amazing.

Jason

Comment

I have the bog pod death grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We put a few miles on our boots most nights with these heavier tripods. I’ve used the Gen 3 triggersticks a few times, and have a set. I’ll take the much heavier Leofoto, and deal with it though. We setup the tripods before ever starting the hunt, and then toss them in the bed of the truck at their extended lengths and never adjust them again the rest of the night. We hunt a lot of 200-1000 acre wheat fields, so we hike a ton getting setup on them. We’ll park our truck downwind, then hike in. Just toss the tripods over our shoulders along with our rifle. Once we get semi close we set the rifles on the tripods via arca rails and hike the rest of the way with them ready to shoot. It’s definitely more cumbersome than Triggersticks, but to me the benefits are worth it. It’s all preference though. There’s been a few hikes where I was jealous of our buddy who runs Triggersticks.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                We put a few miles on our boots most nights with these heavier tripods. I’ve used the Gen 3 triggersticks a few times, and have a set. I’ll take the much heavier Leofoto, and deal with it though. We setup the tripods before ever starting the hunt, and then toss them in the bed of the truck at their extended lengths and never adjust them again the rest of the night. We hunt a lot of 200-1000 acre wheat fields, so we hike a ton getting setup on them. We’ll park our truck downwind, then hike in. Just toss the tripods over our shoulders along with our rifle. Once we get semi close we set the rifles on the tripods via arca rails and hike the rest of the way with them ready to shoot. It’s definitely more cumbersome than Triggersticks, but to me the benefits are worth it. It’s all preference though. There’s been a few hikes where I was jealous of our buddy who runs Triggersticks.
                For sure, it's preference. I'm also getting old and lazy.

Comment

90 yards to the other side of the pond, little too far for the xbow
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes sticks are a must!

Been 3 years running my Reaper Grip on SLIK 700 tripid. I also have a Reaper Rail on Their similar tripod

Comment

Trying to learn more about thermal, I think I have a rough idea on the performance/price I’d like to get….

I’m looking Into the Super Hogster or Iray Bravo, or would be open to any other suggestions in that $3500 or less range. These seem to be very similar units, does anyone have any input on the two of these units, or any others in that range. It seems the Bravo has a few more features (adm mount, magnetic cable, easier to use display, etc.).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jared07 View Post
                        Trying to learn more about thermal, I think I have a rough idea on the performance/price I’d like to get….

I’m looking Into the Super Hogster or Iray Bravo, or would be open to any other suggestions in that $3500 or less range. These seem to be very similar units, does anyone have any input on the two of these units, or any others in that range. It seems the Bravo has a few more features (adm mount, magnetic cable, easier to use display, etc.).

Thanks
                        Those are two great scopes for the money. You've basically summed up the differences well. They are the same internals, same magnification, same image quality but but Bravo is $380 more but it comes with a $200 ADM QD mount, magnetic USB cable, slightly better menu and a 5 year warranty with a 5 day repair/replace policy. If you're just looking for the least expensive bang for the buck, the Super Hogster is hard to beat. If you like the idea of the upgrades the Bravo offers, it's a great deal for the few hundred more dollars.

In that same price range the other options are the Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ38 2.5x for $2,500 or the iRay Bolt TL35 3x for $3,299 as well. Both are in a traditional daytime scope 30mm tube housing. If you're looking for that traditional look, those are super options. If you like the smaller compact look then I'd go with the Super Hogster or Bravo.

Feel free to give us a call anytime if you have questions about any of the units. We've got Youtube reviews of them all.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                          Those are two great scopes for the money. You've basically summed up the differences well. They are the same internals, same magnification, same image quality but but Bravo is $380 more but it comes with a $200 ADM QD mount, magnetic USB cable, slightly better menu and a 5 year warranty with a 5 day repair/replace policy. If you're just looking for the least expensive bang for the buck, the Super Hogster is hard to beat. If you like the idea of the upgrades the Bravo offers, it's a great deal for the few hundred more dollars.

In that same price range the other options are the Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ38 2.5x for $2,500 or the iRay Bolt TL35 3x for $3,299 as well. Both are in a traditional daytime scope 30mm tube housing. If you're looking for that traditional look, those are super options. If you like the smaller compact look then I'd go with the Super Hogster or Bravo.

Feel free to give us a call anytime if you have questions about any of the units. We've got Youtube reviews of them all.

Jason
                          Jason,

Has the Thermion 2 XQ38 dropped in price? Website shows $3299

Comment

Last night

Called her up at the house with a mouse call in about 5 mins.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	E377D1A4-CBEA-4396-A321-21672BB3C742.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	24666801

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post

Jason

I’m assuming the “next level” would be getting up into the 640 and 50mm range?

Comment

Tonight

Less than 1 minute tonight
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	B0666BD0-5EC6-4EF4-8B6D-F063EE7DFB7E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	24666806

Comment

Working...
                                X