Solar pump question…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar pump question…

I don’t know too much about wells, much less solar wells. My current deep well pump is at about 450’. Could I add/pair a solar well inside the casing to fill a stock tank?

I've had one for over 15 years now. Best money I've ever spent. It's filling a pond
    strictly for wildlife use. The whole time i've had one issue with a wire coming loose but
    that's it. It's a 300 watt system pumps over 5 gal per minute when the sun is shining.
    Make sure your pond/tank will hold water or else it's a waste. I buried 55 mil plastic
    liner under about 4' of fill dirt. Not a drop of water lost.

Comment

Originally posted by WRBCGuru View Post
      I've had one for over 15 years now. Best money I've ever spent. It's filling a pond
      strictly for wildlife use. The whole time i've had one issue with a wire coming loose but
      that's it. It's a 300 watt system pumps over 5 gal per minute when the sun is shining.
      Make sure your pond/tank will hold water or else it's a waste. I buried 55 mil plastic
      liner under about 4' of fill dirt. Not a drop of water lost.
      So the solar pump CAN work along side the deep well pump? That’s good news. How expensive are they? I’ll do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
        I don’t know too much about wells, much less solar wells. My current deep well pump is at about 450’. Could I add/pair a solar well inside the casing to fill a stock tank?
        So you have an existing well, with a pump that is hooked to electricity, right? If your casing is 4", then you are going to have a problem running another line/pump down that well. Even if you had 6" casing, it will be a tight fit, and I would not recommend it.

Your better bet, it to add storage tanks to your existing well, with cutoffs that shut the well down, when the tanks are full. Then, pipe water from your storage tanks to where you need water. I don't mean a pond, I mean a cattle troughs, with float valves.

Re-reading your message, I have to say this. DON'T FILL A STOCK TANK, FROM YOUR WELL. THAT IS WHAT RAIN IS FOR.

Comment

No, you can't add a second pump to the same hole. You can set up a system that will switch from solar to grid power depending on the sun.

Comment

Solar system replaces an electric pump. You'll have to shop water well experts for prices.
            I'm sure like everybody else their rates for labor and equipment vary. At the time I had
            mine installed the most expensive component was the solar panels but I understand they
            are cheaper these days. I've got 6 total panels mounted on an aluminum frame
            measures roughly 4' x 8' give or take a few inches.

Comment

Working...
            X