walking on ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

walking on ice

Not being a Yankee, I have very little experience with frozen ponds.

What are the rules of thumb for ice thickness and walking on a frozen pond? Any particular tricks or things to watch out for?

Just planning ahead lol.

If you fall through it's too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      If you fall through it's too thin.
      Spot on

Comment

.56 inch of ice thickness per foot of human height

Comment

1" of good clear ice. You are good to walk on, if it's a lake/pond. I usually wait until 2" of good clear ice though just because ice fishing equipment weighs a lot. If there is any water flowing at all (Like a channel), stay away.

1" of crappy, cloudy white ice. Stay off.

If you are getting close to 0 degrees, expect ice to build at about an inch an hour if there is no snow cover.
          Last edited by WItoTX; 02-12-2021, 11:57 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Video, be sure to have lots of video.

Comment

How thick should ice be to walk, snowmobile, skate or drive on? Check out these recommended ice thickness guidelines. How much ice or ice thickness is needed to be safe? Review the DNR's ice chart.

I'd be careful, hypothermia doesn't take long if wet. If it's a deep pond have some picks on you. Home made ones work well.

A spud bar might be a good idea for checking thickness.

Might sound overboard but we take ice thickness seriously up here this time of the year. However your water underneath is probably warmer than the water up here under ice.

Have fun and stay safe.
              Last edited by wytex; 02-12-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

My rule is don't

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  If you are getting close to 0 degrees, expect ice to build at about an inch an hour if there is no snow cover.
                  I could have an ice shake rink on my pond!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    I could have an ice shake rink on my pond!!!
                    Do it. If it's clear ice, ponds are a blast to skate on! Just don't get too many people on it at once!

We have more than once played hockey on that lake while waiting for tip ups back in high school.

Comment

Do it. If it's clear ice, ponds are a blast to skate on! Just don't get too many people on it at once!

We have more than once played hockey on that lake while waiting for tip ups back in high school.
                      I don't think there is a store in 90 miles of me that sells skates

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        I don't think there is a store in 90 miles of me that sells skates

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        Hahaha this is likely true. Probably get crazy looks if you asked. Not to mention asking for hockey sticks and a puck.

Comment

Hahaha this is likely true. Probably get crazy looks if you asked. Not to mention asking for hockey sticks and a puck.
                          There was a tent selling hockey gear at the Bonham trade days last weekend. I thought that was a little crazy here. Amazing what a difference a few days can make.

Comment

Lady's and gentlemen take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Don't do it is best advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X