No announcement yet.

How many remember.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting stories of old Dallas. Tks for sharing. Dallas has always been one of my favorite cities in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
      I was there at that time too, and you might recall this.

Around Christmas, and Saint Patrick's Day, and Texas-OU weekend and maybe a few other times during the year a gentleman would visit the lobbies of the big downtown Dallas banks and perform songs with his operatic baritone. He would walk from First National Bank to Mercantile to Republic-Bank with stops along the way at The Adolphus, etc. He dressed as Santa and did Christmas carols, he dressed like a leprechaun and did Irish songs, he wore a burnt orange and white suite and sang "The Eyes of Texas",etc. Downtown workers would quickly spread the word when he was performing, and large audiences would form with flash mob speed. I know at First National Bank we would pack the main banking lobby on the 4th floor and the 5th floor mezzanine to watch him sing. He was a great performer, and was very popular, but that was just another time. I miss those days.
      Since you brought up the Mercantile, we would watch idiots crawl out of a hatch way to work on the clock. The clocks, I believe were on all four sides of the building above 12 floors up. We would sit in our office on the 12th floor of the Mobil Bldg and watch and we were looking upwards at a slight angle. I'd just shake my head, no way.

Comment

Remember it well!

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
          Really cool story hpdrifter, brings back lots of memories of Downtown Dallas in that time period. Here's To The Sunny Slopes Of Long Ago- Augustus McCrae.
          My grandfather AND grandmother used to drive Dallas city buses in the 40's,50's, and 60's. My uncle had the largest open electrical company West of the Mississippi River during the 70' s. I remember many a night listening to some of the stories back then.

I sure wished I had recorded some of that stuff. It sure doesn't seem like families today(at least mine) don't gather round like they used to. Of course, all of mine are deceased now except for youngans and they got no stories or history.

Comment

Working...
          X