Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to eat?

Need input from the GS.
    My brother loaded his dehydrator with salt/peppered deer meat this yesterday.
    Unfortunately, when he checked it this morning the meat was still raw. He realized the temp was at the lowest setting intended for herbs and vegetables.
    Would the meat still be safe to eat or is it unsafe?

Is this a real question?

Comment

I wouldn't consider it safe, but then I'm pretty conservative.

Comment

No smell eat it...

Comment

I've eaten jerky made with a 100 watt light bulb so I'd eat.

Comment

Guess I may be pretty conservative as well and told him to scrap the batch.
            I know salt has been used for years as cure but I always erred on the side of caution when making cured meats.

Comment

If the fan was moving air it doesn't matter if the heat was low. Your just trying to drive the moisture out.
              Last edited by Gunnyart; 11-08-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I hang dry my jerky for a week or so with nothing more than a fan. Id say its just fine as long as its got curing salt on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I believe he used table salt, not curing salt.

Comment

I'd think it's perfectly fine as long as it looks and smells normal and has had the dehydrator moving air over it. If so, I'd finish it on the appropriate temperature and when it's done dehydrating, bake it in the oven at 275 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool completely and store air tight (ziplock or vacuum seal) and it should last a month at room temp or up to 3 months in the fridge.

Comment

I have eaten biltong that was seemingly dehydrated by flies. :-). I would finish it and give it a whirl.

Comment

It’s ok.

Comment

it is perfectly safe, but just need more time
                          or he could just start eating while its still drying too (that's what I do as i check mine while drying) i love, my whole family loves raw deer meat. as long as you butcher well it is very safe to eat.

in reality the higher the temperature you heat meat to the less nutrient-rich the meat is

real jerky is made by only using moving air, no heat is required at all, and this preserves the best stuff and keeps the meat in a "live state"

once you "cook" meat it has to be watched carefully as it can only rot from there

if you are nervous keep it in the fridge or freezer but jerky never last very long at my house no matter how much i make and i haven't lost any of my 5 kids yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                            If the fan was moving air it doesn't matter if the heat was low. Your just trying to drive the moisture out.
                            this

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                              I have eaten biltong that was seemingly dehydrated by flies. :-). I would finish it and give it a whirl.
                              That is gross. In no way shape or form should that be considered food

Comment

Working...
                              X