No announcement yet.

Iron Will’s issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP. Cut the fletchings off of one arrow. Wrap some tape on the back of the arrow to mimic the weight of your fletching. Shoot out to whatever distance you feel comfortable with killing an animal. This bare shaft should show you if your bow is in tune, and or your shot (release/grip) is in tune to shoot that distance. I shoot bare shafts at 80 every time I practice. My bare/fletched/ and BH are consistent at 80. Past that there is some wind drag on the arrow with the BH. Most likely it is a form/tune issue with the bow. Have you spun the BH? What arrow component system are you using?

Comment

Has anybody shot the wides? If so how’d they fly and we’re the blood trails any better?

Comment

I never had issues with iron will flying good , or being dull. I did however have them rust, and I didn't care for the whole size either.

Comment

Originally posted by JWF View Post
          Not to hijack the thread, but do you like the swept or regular blades on the exodus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I've heard they are about the same. I use the full blades. Lusk archery adventures on you tube has a good review on them .. John post on here some ..

Comment

Exodus 125.....fly perfect out to 80 for me, sharp as hail, great blood trails....accidently shot one thru a cattle gate twice, still perfect shape

$12 ea.

Comment

Fool me once...

Twice?!?

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Exodus 125.....fly perfect out to 80 for me, sharp as hail, great blood trails....accidently shot one thru a cattle gate twice, still perfect shape

$12 ea.

Comment

Originally posted by RebeccaCreekKid View Post
                Twice?!?
                Yup....adjusting 60 yrd pin.....went the wrong way!

Comment

Couple things...

1) the vents ironwills are known to be a little noisy as is any other vented head. However the solid ones are basically dead silent.

2). I also love the Exodus, probably killed more animals with that head than any other. I remove and resharpen the blades (swept blades) on a KME sharpener and reuse them. Very durable, excellent flight, etc. However, even with the exodus I have had my fair share of mediocre to poor blood trails. Shot placement has been the deciding factor for me on blood trails.

Comment

Originally posted by ag111 View Post
                    Couple things...

1) the vents ironwills are known to be a little noisy as is any other vented head. However the solid ones are basically dead silent.

2). I also love the Exodus, probably killed more animals with that head than any other. I remove and resharpen the blades (swept blades) on a KME sharpener and reuse them. Very durable, excellent flight, etc. However, even with the exodus I have had my fair share of mediocre to poor blood trails. Shot placement has been the deciding factor for me on blood trails.
                    I have both vented and solid . I can hear both hissing. I'd love to get my hands on some of the silent Ironwills.
                    Last edited by jds247; 11-11-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                      This brings up a good point. Did you get pass throughs on the deer? If you were shooting out of treestand and did not penetrate the other side the body cavity would have to fill up with blood before it would come out for the most part. With a treestands higher entry placement I've had deer with double lunch shots run 50-75 yards with no blood till then.

Yes pass through, ground blind so no downward. Attached is picture if people want to see. This was the exit wound

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                        I disagree with Byron on the rough edge being better. Rough edge will collect fat and tissue causing the blade to clog up so to speak.. allowing veins to roll instead of cutting. A razor sharp blade will slice through instead of pushing through.
                        I'm not a fan of Ironwill heads because they whistle or hiss while flying.. I want my arrows as close to silent as possible.. a 1 1/8 inch wide essentially a 2 blade broadhead doesn't cut much of a hole so unless you hit the deer just right you won't get much blood.. I bought a couple packs of Ironwill heads but Exodus are 1/ 3 of the price and are in my opinion a superior design.

My experience is they were quiet, I had the solid head. Never shot exodus so can’t compare though, I’ve heard good things about those too.

Comment

Originally posted by LegenW84itDary View Post
                          Yes pass through, ground blind so no downward. Attached is picture if people want to see. This was the exit wound

From that placement it’s gonna be hard to get a lot of blood on the ground. Little lower and it would be a different story. That said, sometimes crazy things happen and can hit them perfect and they don’t bleed, I wouldn’t get discouraged. You found her, I’d call it a win and whack more critters with them

I shot a good sized pig with the 100gr solid and she bleed like a stuck pig, literally…. Was the best blood trail I’ve ever had on a pig

Comment

I was just thinking about asking some questions about Iron Wills then saw this post.Last weekend I had a doe broadside at 20yds.I’m shooting the 125gn with the bleeders and a 575gn arrow.The shot looked like it hit her right in the heart area,she jumped straight up about 3’ high and turned and ran about 20 yards in the open then hit the brush.I found my arrow about 15 yards past where she was standing stuck in the ground at about the same angle and right in line from where I shot.The arrow was covered in blood all the way to the knock,bright red blood,and there was actually blood dripping off it onto the ground.Other than that blood there wasn’t a single drop anywhere else.I looked for an hour and a half then went and got 2 more guys and we looked for another hour or more and couldn’t find anything.I’m gonna try them one more time before I give up on them because I spent over $100 on 3 broadheads but I hate losing a deer that I know I got a good hit on.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeliner1 View Post
                              I was just thinking about asking some questions about Iron Wills then saw this post.Last weekend I had a doe broadside at 20yds.I’m shooting the 125gn with the bleeders and a 575gn arrow.The shot looked like it hit her right in the heart area,she jumped straight up about 3’ high and turned and ran about 20 yards in the open then hit the brush.I found my arrow about 15 yards past where she was standing stuck in the ground at about the same angle and right in line from where I shot.The arrow was covered in blood all the way to the knock,bright red blood,and there was actually blood dripping off it onto the ground.Other than that blood there wasn’t a single drop anywhere else.I looked for an hour and a half then went and got 2 more guys and we looked for another hour or more and couldn’t find anything.I’m gonna try them one more time before I give up on them because I spent over $100 on 3 broadheads but I hate losing a deer that I know I got a good hit on.

I bought some for a dream trip to S Africa and got them all flying great…I lost 2 impalas in 2 days. One I have on video and it was a good shot. We tracked it for 800 yards and never found it. The other left sporadic blood for 300 yards and lost as well. I have probably killed 60 animals with a bow and lost only 2 whitetail deer and a few pigs before this. I finished up the trip borrowing some broadheads from a buddy and went 4 for 4 after that. I am not a fan at all.

Comment

I shot a mature Nilgai cow last week with 150 grain wide solids. I like the wides but feel like the standard heads are a little too small for my taste. Full passthrough and stuck in a mesquite tree 10 yards behind it. I was hunting from the ground and shot it halfway up the chest so there was very little blood the first 50 yards and then a lot of blood after that once the chest cavity filled up. She went 90 yards total.

I’ve shot 2 nilgai with QAD exodus that I never found. One I tracked 3/4 of a mile before I lost any sign of it and that was an 8 yard shot w a crossbow right on the shoulder. So who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X