No announcement yet.

High Shoulder Bow Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit this one high from a steep down angle in a tree stand, that’s the exit wound you see from this trail cam pic from 2 weeks later. My dad shot him in rifle season and he didn’t even have scarring in the muscle tissue from the archery wound.

Comment

I saw a buck running around chasing a doe with an arrow sticking out of his back in the area your talking about. This was many many years ago but he didnt seem to be bothered by it

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
        I hit this one high from a steep down angle in a tree stand, that’s the exit wound you see from this trail cam pic from 2 weeks later. My dad shot him in rifle season and he didn’t even have scarring in the muscle tissue from the archery wound.

I know what we see from the tree stand can sometimes be very different than what really happened, but your picture depicts what I would say is almost identical to my shot.

Comment

Shot one a few weeks ago in the same spot. Found the arrow with muscle tissue and not much blood. Followed bright spotty blood for about 70 yards before I lost it. Came back with dogs and searched another 2 hours a d found nothing. Pretty sure he survived, just waiting for him to show up on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son shot this buck 2 years ago. Arrow did just as you mention and we followed little blood for a couple hundred yards. 2 days later he was back with a limp and he got a second chance. Being 11 he was shook up and chose to go with a rifle this time. Hope he shows back up for you.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about your buck. I think most all of us know the feeling. You mind if I ask what your set-up is? I've made the same bad shot before. High shoulder is just scapula and not that thick. Little penetration. Same as you. I switched to heavy arrow and fixed blades.
              What is your arrow weight and how many lbs you shoot? Which broadhead

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

He'll be back

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                  Arrow broke off inside him? That deer is gonna get an infection and coyotes will get him. It sucks.

I’ve made high shots with pass through and the deer are fine, but I’ve never seen a deer again that had arrow break and remain in him.
                  I had one that did. Took a month or so before I got pics of him again but I did. He was fine and had pics of him again the next year.

Comment

I hit one like those pictured a few years ago. I didnt get that much penetration but the buck came back and I shot him 2 weeks later at the same feeder. He still had the broadhead (rage) stuck between the scapula and his chest cavity.

I went full fixed blade after that

Comment

Seen this a couple times, most of the time they'll live and be back on camera at some point

Comment

I shot this one a little high in the shoulder last week, and he made a loud moan and dropped in his tracks. Almost like he was spine shot, but he wasn’t. Must have struck a nerve! Arrow buried in his off shoulder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A65C952-4CC0-4F7F-BEE5-6D98B5598F8B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	24668913

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          Sorry about your buck. I think most all of us know the feeling. You mind if I ask what your set-up is? I've made the same bad shot before. High shoulder is just scapula and not that thick. Little penetration. Same as you. I switched to heavy arrow and fixed blades.
                          What is your arrow weight and how many lbs you shoot? Which broadhead

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                          Obsession Sniper SS at 28in and 62lbs with a 490 grain arrow and Exodus 125 grain broadhead. Same set up has blown through multiple pigs and a doe this year. I’m not blaming my equipment. 100% shot placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            I hit one like those pictured a few years ago. I didnt get that much penetration but the buck came back and I shot him 2 weeks later at the same feeder. He still had the broadhead (rage) stuck between the scapula and his chest cavity.

I went full fixed blade after that
                            Sounds more like a shot placement issue and not a broadhead issue. The OP isn't blaming his equipment and has accepted the fact that it was purely BAD SHOT PLACEMENT.

Comment

Theres always one

Comment

That just stinks. Hopefully he shows back up. I have a buck I've missed twice.... once at 15 yards, once at about 8.... just total flukes both times, but man it eats at you.

Comment

Working...
                                X