Vanes 3 or 4 Fletch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanes 3 or 4 Fletch

Using a 2.3” vane that is .43” high would you 3 or 4 fletch with a fixed blade broadhead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accuracy wise I have found zero difference but the only reason I do 4 fletch is because I can get extra cable clearance. I use the Q2I low pros 2.1s

Comment

These are the q2i griff-x 2.3”

Comment

I fletch 4

Comment

Just order zingers and save yourself some trouble

Comment

Follow up question, what about 3” vane @ .43” high? Shooting slick tricks or magnus black hornet

Comment

I shoot 4 vanes low profile . Think aae’s or vanetec . I shoot 4 blade griz tricks 2.shoots great out to 70 yards .

Comment

Just switched over to Tak Vanes Driver, 2.75x 0.475. Fletched them with 3 vanes. Been happy with the so far. I also us fixed blade broadheads.

Comment

Vanes 3 or 4 Fletch

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
                  Using a 2.3” vane that is .43” high would you 3 or 4 fletch with a fixed blade broadhead?

You’ve been posting a lot lately asking specifically about arrows. Be careful about soliciting advice from others; not because they don’t know what they are talking about but because everybody’s experience is in a vacuum. Finite variables like draw weight, length and tip weight are just a few of the tip of the iceberg comparisons you hear guys talk about. That’s really where the similarities stop and shooting becomes unique to each archer.

As far as your question goes I will offer my opinion on the subject for what it’s worth. Arrow flight is largely contingent upon the tune of the bow. Some fletching is needed for good flight with broadheads but if the bow is tuned properly then most can get away with a lower profile vane and don’t realize it. I personally shoot 3” Qti’s because I need a little more cable clearance on my e35. Increasing FOC will also reduce the amount of fletching needed making it more efficient in its ability to apply drag. The best thing to do is to fletch up a few configurations and see what runs the best for you. Test them over a few sessions and you should see one start to step away from the pack. Again, I can’t stress enough on spending your time getting a quality tune on the rig before you start splitting hairs on the fletching scenario.

[emoji1662]

Comment

I shoot 4x low profile vanes for large fixed heads. I like the quieter flight, less wind drift, and great cable clearance (I adjust my flex guards to way inside). Muddy has excellent points above. I'm also a tuning fiend... bare shaft broadheads out to 15 yards, so what works out of my bow for me... has no bearing on your bow or you. However in general a 4 fletch low profile vane is capable of controlling larger fixed heads.

Comment

I just switched to 4 Rayzr feathers. Was doing 3 Blazer vanes. then tried 3x 3.5" feathers. Finally tried 4x 2" Rayzr feather and really liked that configuration the best. Super quiet and shoot great(shooting Iron Will 150 grain wide solids) and at 1.7 grains ea 4 of the Rayzrs are only 6.8 grains total compared to 24 grains for 4 Blazers so taking 18 grains off the back end is a big plus imo. I'm using lighted nocks so didn't want that much weight on the back end.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                        I shoot 4x low profile vanes for large fixed heads. I like the quieter flight, less wind drift, and great cable clearance (I adjust my flex guards to way inside). Muddy has excellent points above. I'm also a tuning fiend... bare shaft broadheads out to 15 yards, so what works out of my bow for me... has no bearing on your bow or you. However in general a 4 fletch low profile vane is capable of controlling larger fixed heads.
                        Which vanes do you use?

Comment

There's no scientific reason to go to 4 vanes unless you are using very small vanes with very large heads. I use 3 Bohning Heat vanes to stabilize Black Hornets with no issue at all. To each there own I guess.

Comment

I used four 3" vanes back when I shot Bear 8.6 metric magnum shafts with Rocky Mountain 5 blade razors and a PSE Carbon Elite 86lb draw weight.
                            That was a long long time ago in my prior life. I'm 75 now and can barely pull my age and certainly not sitting down. Nowadays 60lb feels like 86 used to.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                              Which vanes do you use?
                              Q2i Fusion II-X and Griff-X mostly, but I also have about half my arrows fletched with AAE Max Stealths and AAE Hybrid 26s.

Comment

Working...
                              X