Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo saved!

Comment

Now show us “the right way” of a full hide removal from the skull as some western states require it

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Now show us “the right way” of a full hide removal from the skull as some western states require it
        Ben mears has a really good video on skinning out the head. The only thing I do differently is use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to chisel the hide away from the antler burs. Much cleaner and easier than trying to scrape and pry it off with a knife.

Comment

I always cut their throat so they will bleed out. Should I try to cut right along the edge of the throat patch?

Comment

I brought my caped skull to my taxi & couldn't believe how fast / easy he removed the face...like it had a zipper.

Comment

I do it like this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmRSRQtowmM"]TBHVJ 23 - How to Cape a Trophy Buck's Rack (Skinning Rack Series) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                Ben mears has a really good video on skinning out the head. The only thing I do differently is use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to chisel the hide away from the antler burs. Much cleaner and easier than trying to scrape and pry it off with a knife.

https://youtu.be/6RmUIPI-Cp4
                Great video Sika. I had the video saved on my phone when I went elk/MD hunting since it was supposed to be a DIY hunt. Turned into a guided hunt and the guide did this and boy was I thankful!

Comment

It’s not hard, just take your time. The first couple I ever did took me like 45 minutes. I do about 30 per year for hunters and now I can do one in about 20 minutes.

Sometimes I still tube the legs to the knee cap just because hunters always freak out when they see you make those cuts from the back of the elbow to mid body. But it’s easier to skin the brisket if you go ahead and open it up. I do it both ways all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	23262A23-74AB-46B9-834D-97282FD52D4E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	24692725

I’ll complicate things 🤣. I like to make a inverse V after the elbow is cleared for a few of those wall pedestal poses

Comment

Glad I never have to worry bout that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post

https://youtu.be/6RmUIPI-Cp4
                        Ben's video is great and the screw driver technique works great but be very careful with that screw driver on deer with big, over hanging, pedicles.. If you pry up too hard against those wide pedicles you can pop a chunk off and it will fly to who knows where.. Don't ask me how I know..

And never leave home with one or two of these... These are the best caping blades, size and shape, you can buy.... They work excellent around the pedicles..

Last edited by PondPopper; 09-19-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            Ben's video is great and the screw driver technique works great but be very careful with that screw driver on deer with big, over hanging, pedicles.. If you pry up too hard against those wide pedicles you can pop a chunk off and it will fly to who knows where.. Don't ask me how I know..
                            Obviously that chip is from fighting

Comment

Save this photo

I do this, but make a little more of a “V” from the armpits to the brisket. If done like in the pic, it’s getting really close to the exposed side hide on certain wall pedestal mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                                I do this, but make a little more of a “V” from the armpits to the brisket. If done like in the pic, it’s getting really close to the exposed side hide on certain wall pedestal mounts.

See post #24

Comment

Working...
                                X