Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning

Got hit Friday. Pole a block down the street. There are 3 ways it gets into your house. Power line is the worst, phone line, or cable TV line. Well I am on fiber optic and thought the line would fry and stop it from getting in.
    Two of 3 computers that were online at the time got fried, expensive printer gone, 3 out of 4 cable boxes were replaced yesterday, and the amp in the den is gone. It did some freaky stuff.
    Glad my generator is not plugged into any online anything. It ran for 4 hours while they fixed the pole...
    Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 09-04-2022, 06:17 AM.

That’s some scary stuff JD. Glad it didn’t catch you house on fire.

Comment

Well good thing you got fiber optics! That could have been really bad, I’ve seen it melt the cat5 from the d-Marc all the way to the jack

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        That’s some scary stuff JD. Glad it didn’t catch you house on fire.
        We took a glancing blow bud.
        Our A/V guy is coming by today. Supposed to have some great amps on sale. Get us back up and rocking.
        Got to get a printer today...

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
          Well good thing you got fiber optics! That could have been really bad, I’ve seen it melt the cat5 from the d-Marc all the way to the jack
          I thought it would fry a tiny fiber optic line.
          Any idea why the server and fiber line lived through the event?

Comment

Glad it was not worse and you are on way back to normal. I am surprised Fiber would carry current. It is made of glass and set up for light transmission. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
              Glad it was not worse and you are on way back to normal. I am surprised Fiber would carry current. It is made of glass and set up for light transmission. Interesting.

Had the same happen before rural Katy area with not many trees.
              Neighbor lost thousands of appliances in a lightening event

Be prepared, sometimes board circuits are damaged but dont fail, and a month or 3 later other electronics mysteriously fail

Comment

The 2 computers were on
                Iine were powered up. Probably came in through the power. Overhead fiber is lashed with wire to suspend it or it has a cable in it to support the weight. Was the 3rd computer on a ups?
                If it wasn't for bad luck......

Comment

My buddy is an electrician in your area and installs surge protection for residential clients a few times a week. PM if you’d like his number.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                    Got hit Friday. Pole a block down the street. There are 3 ways it gets into your house. Power line is the worst, phone line, or cable TV line. Well I am on fiber optic and thought the line would fry and stop it from getting in.
                    Two of 3 computers that were online at the time got fried, expensive printer gone, 3 out of 4 cable boxes were replaced yesterday, and the amp in the den is gone. It did some freaky stuff.
                    Glad my generator is not plugged into any online anything. It ran for 4 hours while they fixed the pole...
                    I am sorry to hear about the lightning strike. Yesterday afternoon lightning struck some oil tanks about 1 mile from my house.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ouch! I assume you lost data in your computers. That can't be good.

What were the sound effects like?

Comment

???

Johnny, just curious, why are you thinking it's the fiber optic line that is the culprit? Are you thinking that because the devices affected were all hardwired for internet connection?

Comment

Dang that's tough luck Johnny. Good luck getting everything up and running.

Comment

Good to hear you had a generator and the power at pole is back on. Sorry your electronics were damaged.

A friend had a different type of power surge. It occurred while she was away. I happened to be in the area that day and noticed the power lines and cables dancing up and down all along where she lived. But it wasn’t necessarily close to her house. This was a ways down. I quickly scanned up and down looking for what may have caused this. A dump truck was delivering a load of sand nearby. The driver didn’t lower the dump bed quick enough on his dump truck while leaving. He hit either a pole or the lines/cables.

The bad part is that when my friend arrived at her house later, she opened the front door and was met with a cloud of smoke. Her TV was on fire and numerous electronics were fried. I don’t recall the total damage but it was a mess. It damaged the wiring in the walls too. The dump truck driver denied it but I was a witness. It took her a while to get his insurance to pay. The driver finally admitted to causing the damage and his insurance agreed to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by orchard View Post
                              My buddy is an electrician in your area and installs surge protection for residential clients a few times a week. PM if you’d like his number.
                              I have one. It did not come in the power wire...

Comment

Working...
                              X