Prime Rib Monday!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib Monday!!!!

So I decided to pull the Prime Rib I had in the freezer out and cook it for today since I was off work. I started by pulling it out Friday morning to start it's defrost. Sunday evening I cut the bones loose then tied them back on and did a kosher salt rub down and put it back in the fridge uncovered overnight. This morning I took the salt off and did a light coat of mustard as a binder and then a pepper, garlic and other spices rubbed on it.

I put it on the pit to smoke. I checked it half way and put my meat thermometer in to get the internal temp. 5 1/2 hours later THIS was the finished product. Medium on the ends for a few slices and medium rare for the middle slices.

Abby was outside helping the entire time. She was a tropper. Between swimming and sitting by the fans we managed to stay somewhat cool.
    Attached Files

Looks tasty.

Comment

Oh my

Comment

That looks delightful. I've never cooked one. How do you remove from bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          That looks delightful. I've never cooked one. How do you remove from bones.
          I just cut down the face of the bones and follow the curve. Then I tie them back on for the cooking process. Once done they are a good snack as the prime rib rests you munch on the ribeye bones.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Thanks. What internal temp did you shoot for?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Thanks. What internal temp did you shoot for?
                I shot for 135-140 which gives a medium on the end slices and a medium rare for the center. Anywhere from 130-140 is ideal in my book. Let it rest for 30-45 minutes wrapped in foil..

Another way I've done it is cook to 125, pull and let rest 30 minutes. then slice and sear in high heat cast iron or on a HOT PK Grillon each side to take it to med rare to medium..

Comment

I know that was good! I’ve taken to doing them on the Weber using a rotisserie and basting in rosemary butter.

Comment

looks good

Comment

Amazing

Comment

Working...
                      X