Meat eater podcast with Matt Rinella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat eater podcast with Matt Rinella

Anyone listen to this podcast yet? Scroll to 1:20 where it heats up. Matt discusses the role that social media is playing on hunting. Mainly public hunting. Over crowding is a real issue especially out west. I saw it first hand in unit 85 in Colorado this year with a huge influx of trucks parked along main roads on public areas. I’ve rarely seen hunters parked in these areas in the 3 previous years. I can also say that Kansas this year vs last year was packed. It’s a very interesting topic for sure. Matt had been posting on another hunting forum and I read that apparently Steve uninvited him for Christmas after this podcast. Episode 304.

Building on the belief that a deeper understanding of the natural world enriches all of our lives, host Steven Rinella brings a deep and relevant look at all outdoor topics including hunting, fishing, nature, conservation and wild foods. Filled with humor, irreverence and things that will surprise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Rinella.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
      Lord Rinella.

Did you have anything else to add or is implying your apparent dissatisfaction with the last name rinella all you have to offer. I only ask bc this is actually a very serious topic and issue with public hunting and trickles down to private land/leasing as well. For example, how much has the cost of land to lease gone up per acre? Why is it going up? Maybe bc there are more hunters and land owners are asking higher prices bc they know they will get it? Just good for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        Did you have anything else to add or is implying your apparent dissatisfaction with the last name rinella all you have to offer. I only ask bc this is actually a very serious topic and issue with public hunting and trickles down to private land/leasing as well. For example, how much has the cost of land to lease gone up per acre? Why is it going up? Maybe bc there are more hunters and land owners are asking higher prices bc they know they will get it? Just good for thought.

I actually added a response to this post to able to recall it at a later time and watch the podcast in full.

When I am able to listen, I'll post with a more appropriate response.

Comment

I actually just listened to this one! It was an interesting viewpoint for sure. I'm definitely more in Steve's camp of the more people interested, the more support we have for hunting and the 2nd amendment in general. The selfish side of me doesn't like when my favorite public spot (which is few and far between here in Texas) is taken no matter how early I get there, but for the long term longevity of me getting to enjoy it, I'm all for more people having a vested interest.

Comment

Yeah well, thankfully Wyoming limits NR hunting licenses, and some resident licenses.
            Need to limit hikers and campers too, lol.

Comment

Haven't listened to all of it and will finish it later. The discussion definitely has its merit and SM has changed public hunting. I find it amusing that people gripe about it then post up their public hunts and kills for all to see. Never made sense to me I'm in the camp of the less you say and show the better.

Comment

Which podcast is it? The link takes you to a page with about 10.

Would be curious to see hunter recruitment numbers the last 10-20 years. Over crowding can become a issue especially for point creep but public land is public...

Need to continue to push to get more of it accessible.

Tagged to listen

Comment

We saw it in Colorado… hunted three years with little to no contact with other hunters. Then the last two years we went saw a dozen or more groups everyday…. Quit going all together because we didn’t want to fight the crowd

Comment

Guys
                    This is a WAY bigger issue than just public hunting. Population growth is THE issue, it’s only going to get worse, there just is no way around it.

I’m 50 years public hunting will be the least of concerns, enjoy what ever small piece of paradise you can find in the next years, it’s going to get harder and harder to escape people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yall looking at this issue through the wrong lenses.

Hunter numbers being up is good for us. We cant have all the world to hunt for ourselves and still have overall support to do so.

Those that are indifferent towards something tend to vote against it when it comes to the nut cutting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang! His brother sure did not hesitate to try and call out everything his own brother has created!!

Can see both sides to their argument. I’ve seen down here what meat eater has done for nilgai hunting. I’m seeing all kinds of people from all over posting up pictures up with nilgai since then. Heck, I’ve met guys from Wisconsin and New Mexico out at laguna hunting for them. I’m sure those boys out east weren’t happy they showed everyone their fallow deer population and hunting because I’m sure they got flooded with people afterwards. Not that I’m against it, as I go out of state to hunt, but can see where people get frustrated with these things.

But, I do enjoy the meat eater shows and Rinella. I think there are a lot of worthless hunting shows and guys who make money off of hunting and they have made it what his brother is talking about. But I don’t think Rinella’s crew is on the level with them.
                        Last edited by BigRed323; 12-28-2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Matt's view is just a self view.. Which he admits.

I'm not a Steve Rinella lover or hater. I enjoy the pod "sometimes", but it was uncalled for Matt to come on Steve's show and basically call him and his companies trash. It's a family spat that did not be aired, but in typical Meateater fashion instead of canning the episode its now being talked about and driving listens to the show.

Matt totally avoided the conversation that support for hunting is only supported by hunters and license dollars, it was clear he didn't want to go down that road. For those that didn't listen not much substance came out of that podcast.

I can say that yes social media was a factor that got me into western hunting, but it's not something that you jump into. It's something that takes time, money, and a drive to do it. I predict in 4-5 years the fad will slow, and most states will be draw only for elk.
                          Last edited by CrownKiller14; 12-28-2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                            We saw it in Colorado… hunted three years with little to no contact with other hunters. Then the last two years we went saw a dozen or more groups everyday…. Quit going all together because we didn’t want to fight the crowd

Yep....I quit going to public because it was more and more crowded every year. This didn't happen until the podcasts and social media outlets started promoting the public lands and hunting the way they do.

Look at aoudad.....you could kill a sheep on any West Texas ranch for $3000 on the high side. Now, Meat Eater, the Mountain Project and others have made it hip to go shoot an Aoudad so now the hunts are $5000-$7500.

Social Media has not done public land hunting or any other hunting for that matter many favors

Comment

Listened to the meateater podcast, blood origins podcast, and read his article several weeks back. He comes off as a whiny elitist brat. Throws around accusations that are ridiculous. Literally almost everything he says he is being hypocritical. Too worried about what others do that really doesn’t affect him.

Blames all “crowding” of public land on social media, anyone who makes money in the outdoor industry, and anyone who isn’t a resident of the state they’re hunting.

All outdoor activities have seen an increase over the last two years with people being home as well as population increase. As far as recruiting new hunters, eh I’m kind of out on that one, I’m not going to invite this new “adult onset hunter” types but if someone is curious and truly wants to learn or experience it and asks (not recruited) I have no problem. Fads come and go, right now elk hunting is all the rage with anybody who hunts. Thus putting a ton of people in OTC units in CO because they haven’t been playing the game or don’t want to wait, I don’t blame them, I’d choose to hunt and not sit out. Next it’ll be pronghorn or mule deer. Then theres “grip and grins” and how they’re so bad. There’s a lot more he says and goes over but I’m not going to go over all of it.

Hunting and the outdoors is all in what you make of it. I’ve hunted some really crowded pressured public land in less than desirable units, limited entry units on public land, private land as well. There is not one of those places I wouldn’t go back to because I loved them all and had a blast. Some people are just pessimists.

DD, if you didn’t start hunting out west more than the last 10 years you would be one of those hunters he is talking about Good luck on your caribou hunt, I’ll be up there with a buddy doing the same thing at the end of August.

Comment

Working...
                              X