Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    We used a drill bit plucker. Worked well. A little messy until I got my position and the drill speed right.

This is so neat! I've never heard of a drill bit plucker before. I HAVE to have one!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
      This is so neat! I've never heard of a drill bit plucker before. I HAVE to have one!
      It's pretty much a battery powered party, with feathers flying everywhere. I highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
        There are much larger ones that some duck clubs keep. Mak see some shorter work on plucking ducks.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I used to raise em several years ago. I watched a YouTube video on building my own incubator out of an ice chest. I ordered 50 eggs and was told with a homemade incubator I could expect about 25-30% to hatch. I was prepared for 10-15 birds and 38 hatched. Had to go big in hurry to have room for all of them. They grow quick and lay eggs like crazy. Lots of fun and good eating.

Comment

Time to restock the freezer and maybe get a few more for eggs. I think we got 27'ish hatched out so far. These eggs were not "babied" and set outside in a basket for anywhere from 3-10 days. We weren't expecting much. 100 eggs put in. Looks like about a 30% hatch rate unless we get some more tonight.

htt://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmouRNJj56c

Comment

Somethun wrong with the link bro.

Comment

We used to raise quail years ago.
                After seeing this thread, I built some new coops and bought 30 two week old birds and 60 eggs. 51 of the 60 eggs hatched but one died. My grown birds should start laying in the next week or so.
                Last edited by Gerald G; 06-24-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]1093125[/ATTACH]

Comment

Never seem to get pictures to post right unless I just get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                      Never seem to get pictures to post right unless I just get lucky.
                      Edited

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Somethun wrong with the link bro.
                        Let me try again...

Comment

Now it works! Thank you sir.

Comment

Grow out cage for the freezer filler quail. All scrap lumber and materials.

Comment

From the looks of Gerald G's hatch, he might need to rent some space from ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                From the looks of Gerald G's hatch, he might need to rent some space from ya.
                                I got some freezer space he can borrow [emoji16]

Comment

Working...
                                X