Rust in the barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in the barrel

I went kayaking yesterday with my boys & didn’t think about water getting to my gun. Needless to say now there’s some rust inside the barrel right at the end. I ran oil patches through but it still has some rust & I’ve never really liked to use wire brush. Is there any other ways to get the rust out. I though about just using the wire brush then go back over with some kind of polish. It though I’d ask first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire a couple rounds thru it then clean as normal and swab with an oil patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Fire a couple rounds thru it then clean as normal and swab with an oil patch.

This^^^
      I bet it's actually copper fouling moreso than rust to be honest.

Comment

You could soak it with some solvent or penetrating oil, let it sit for awhile, and then hit it with a copper or synthetic bore brush to loosen and remove any rust that might remain. You could repeat the above process to ensure any remaining rust is removed, then run a patch lightly soaked with a good gun oil down the barrel to inhibit any rust from forming. You should be good to go after that.

Comment

Shoot the gun a few times, the rust will be gone. Then clean it normally.

Comment

Working...
          X