Semi-automatic .22mag rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-automatic .22mag rifle?

I'm thinking it would be a good varmint rifle to have and a few companies have built them in recent years so I figured I might give one a try. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. The Kel-Tec CMR-30,Savage A22 Magnum and the Rossi RS22M. I like the fact that the Kel-Tec holds a lot of ammo but that stock doesn't seem like something I'd like too much but it may not be too big of a deal. The Savage looks like it would be a pretty solid choice. I have no clue about the Rossi. I haven't heard much about those.

Any of y'all have any of these rifles,how'd you like it as far as reliability,accuracy and how good of a trigger it has?

The Savage A-22 has a serious mis-firing issue(design issue).. My son has one and I know 2 others that do and they all suffer the same issue.. I would stay away from that gun... You have to shoot the CCI A-22 ammo and even then there are mis-fires.. Any other brand and you can forget it..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      The Savage A-22 has a serious mis-firing issue(design issue).. My son has one and I know 2 others that do and they all suffer the same issue.. I would stay away from that gun... You have to shoot the CCI A-22 ammo and even then there are mis-fires.. Any other brand and you can forget it..
      I have no issues with my A22 as long as I use round nose bullets, mine won't cycle the polymer nosed hornady's which was a annoying but works fine otherwise. I would have stuck with the savage bolt action to do over again.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
        I have no issues with my A22 as long as I use round nose bullets, mine won't cycle the polymer nosed hornady's which was a annoying but works fine otherwise. I would have stuck with the savage bolt action to do over again.
        Im talking about the firing pin actually knocking dents and the round not firing.. Not cycling..

Search "Savage A22 misfires".. You can read for a good while.
        Last edited by PondPopper; 12-27-2021, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Dang it. That's not a good deal. I know there's been a slew of problems with semi-automatic .22mag rifles over the years so it's not necessarily surprising. I just figured of the 3 I mentioned the Savage would have been one of the better ones. Looks like Kel-Tec is in the top spot for now on my list

Comment

I have had a .22 mag marlin forever.
            Can’t imagine why I would want a semi instead

But my friend sure loves his Kel Tec

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Those Kel-Tec "MP5" clones are bad little guns! its definitely on my short list!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post

Yes I also have a Marlin 883 bolt action that is at least 25 years old.. It is a tack driver at 75 yards..
                Last edited by PondPopper; 12-27-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I thought several times about a semi in .22 Mag, but they all seem to have problems. I have a Henry lever action that is a shooter so that’s what I’ll stick with. With a good rest I’ve killed snakes in my pond at fifty yards. That’s as good as it gets for me.

Comment

I have a bolt action Marlin already but I think having a semi-auto would be a good close range coyote gun. Especially being low recoil and having quick follow up shots. It also wouldn't be too shabby in a prairie dog town either. I wouldn't have to reload as much if I went with the Kel-Tec.

Comment

what was the story with the Magnum Research 22mags? i know they are expensive are they reliable?

Comment

I'm guessing but long skinny straight wall cases don't usually play well in semi-auto unless manufacturer has done their homework and refined the mechanics. There must be a reason most ammo calibers today are tapered or bottleneck.

Comment

This is one of those that I would sure want to try before I buy type of rifles.

Comment

I’ve got a Remington 597 in 22mag and it is an outstanding shooter. No problems at all.

Comment

I have a magnum research that cycles just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X