Drawn for Javelina Davis Mountains SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Javelina Davis Mountains SP

Received notice the wife and i were drawn for Javelina at Davis Mountain Sp its archery only looking for some info if someone has been before

Thanks

Haven't drawn this hunt but have spent a bunch of time at Davis Mountains State Park. They don't hunt the park side of the highway, they hunt the area across the road. We were camping at the State Park last year when one of their hunts were going on. Park staff only 2 groups of hunters showed up.

If you look on google maps/earth, you will see an open area just across from the main park entrance. This is where you enter at. There is some low areas near the road and a river/creek bottom. The rest of it goes up pretty quickly and you will be hiking, no real roads that I could tell from hiking in that area (maybe I'm wrong but didn't appear that access for vehicles was good other than just off the road). I'm assuming aoudad are allowed as well. Saw quite a few in the park right above the lodge and they are fairly common in that area. Beautiful country but will be challenging as far as access and archery only.

Comment

I’ve hunted it before. Everything from the post above mine is accurate. I found the most, and killed mine from the parking area down the creek toward the edge of the park. Big spring and nice pools of water. They would come out of the brush early afternoon. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions

Comment

All said above is accurate.

Hunt is across the road from the park.
        Can’t drive out of the campground (park/camp right inside the gate, basically) so you’re on foot or on bike if you bring one. Actually had two javies within fifty feet of my tent at 10am the first full day when I went.

It’s about 2 miles up to get to the top of the mountain. Lots of game, didn’t have any trouble tagging my javi the first day. Bring good boots, you’ll put on some miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
          All said above is accurate.

Hunt is across the road from the park.
          Can’t drive out of the campground (park/camp right inside the gate, basically) so you’re on foot or on bike if you bring one. Actually had two javies within fifty feet of my tent at 10am the first full day when I went.

It’s about 2 miles up to get to the top of the mountain. Lots of game, didn’t have any trouble tagging my javi the first day. Bring good boots, you’ll put on some miles.
          this year's hunt info didn't say anything about exotics/auodads being allowed. It the past it has explicitly stated that they were allowed so I think they changed it and it is only an Javi hunt now.

Comment

I used to apply for this hunt specifically for the Auodads but I noticed they didn't list this on the available game species.

Comment

My guess is they quit listing them because people were showing up just for aoudads and quit killings javelinas. It’s been a problem in other areas as well. I’m willing to bet in orientation they tell you that you can shoot them if you see them. It’s that way in a few WMA’s I’ve hunted in the past. No promises though.

Comment

Me and the wife were also drawn Oct 2 we drove down today to check it out lots of green for this time of year I brought back maps if you would like for me to send you a copy

Comment

that would be great pm me please our hunt is Oct 10

Comment

They took Aoudad off the list on a lot of those hunts when the areas are also inhabited by desert sheep to many idiots that can’t tell the difference

Comment

We drew this hunt a few years ago and it was such a great experience. Definitely one of our favorite areas to visit in Texas.
                      We were not successful in the hunt because my husband got super sick on day 2. It was also super cold when we went, around 15 degrees in the morning.
                      We scouted the day before our hunt and had Javi come within 8 yards of us, and aoudad around 50 yards. We also saw a handful of pigs that day.

There is a low area running parallel to the highway, and there was water held there when we hunted, that is one of the best areas to watch.

My suggestion, scout the day before and find some trails to the water, or plan on hunting the top. If you want to get to the top, take a bike and ride the trail up.

Good luck and enjoy the area. Stay across the street at the state park, if you can. We didn't and VRBO'd a house in town. If you are there on a Tuesday or Saturday night, don't miss the star party at the McDonald Observatory.

Comment

Get a video or get with someone that knows how to call Javelinas. There are some videos on YouTube also. It works great. JMHO

Comment

Forgot to say, eat at the Mexican food place on the outskirts of town. Believe it’s called poco Mexico. Cheap food but they know what they’re doing. Simple but fantastic. I drove in the day before the hunt. Stayed in the main state park campsites that night. Glassed the hill sides and watched the aoudad.
                          If you stay in the park across the road where the hunt is, you still pay the $15 camping fee or whatever it is, so you still can go across the highway to the main campground and shower each night.
                          Enjoy it, awesome country and friendly townsfolk. I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Hope you do a semi live tbh hunt. Service is spotty in the campsites but is full service on top of the mountain as you pull service from town up there.

Comment

Worked at the ranch next door to the non park side. Prude ranch. As a ranch hand and then as a camp counselor. It was a good summer. I love that country.

Comment

Any updates on the early hunts? Son and I are going14-17th. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X