Killing Chinaberry stumps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing Chinaberry stumps ?

We whacked down some chinaberry trees today, really don’t want them regrowing
    I drilled some hole and poured root rotter , will that knock em out ? They are at the bases of some giant pecan and live oak trees so very reluctant to use poison

I’ve got a ton of those in the yard along the river. What I don’t cut down, the axis strip down to the white wood. They always grow right back

Comment

If you're careful, I doubt painting the stumps with Remedy would harm your trees.

Picloram/Tordon can leach from roots and harm surrounding plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
        I’ve got a ton of those in the yard along the river. What I don’t cut down, the axis strip down to the white wood. They always grow right back
        Yeah every time we cut them down the stumps just regroup to bushy

Comment

Drill a few holes in into the stump and pour bleach or muriatic acid into the holes

Comment

I made sure to cut down the mother tree, drilled holes and applied diesel several times and over the next year the volunteers dwindled and now have none

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              If you're careful, I doubt painting the stumps with Remedy would harm your trees.

Picloram/Tordon can leach from roots and harm surrounding plants.
              This. Spray remedy / diesel on the cut stump with a low pressure pump sprayer or use a paintbrush to cover the stump. Just spray the stump to the point of run off.

I have a black oak growing literally next to a pecan - within inches of the pecan. I will be cutting the black oak and hitting it with remedy - diesel and not even worry about the pecan. As long as it only soaks into the target, you should be good.

Comment

I generally don't use diesel. I just don't much like the thought of putting petroleum out on the landscape. Your mileage may vary. Diesel can definitely help penetrate uncut bark or woody brush/vines, but I would sooner use a commercial surfactant made for the purpose.

Or just dip a paint brush in the jug of concentrated Remedy/Triclopyr if it's only a few trees.

Comment

I have childhood nightmares cause we thought we could build a tree house in one. I don’t know how many times we fell out of that tree when limbs snapped.

Comment

Any tree i cut down, i drill holes in the stump, and fill with rock salt. Keep repeating until it's dead.

Comment

I would think Remedy/Diesel would work. I had a old Chinese tallow that nothing I did killed it. I finally took a old hog panel folded in circle just a hair bigger than stump. I stacked mesquite in there and built a fire. Its finally gone, my neighbors sure were worried about it. Just gotta make sure you put fire out completely and saturate whats left as it can burn underground for several days

Comment

I too have not had issues with Remedy and diesel. Works every time on elms, sweet gums, yaupon, sumac. It will work fine on those dang things. Coat the cut with no rain for 24 hours and it is dead.

Comment

Working...
                        X