Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looked @ TP&W draw hunts rifle cal required

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
    I will go out one a limb and state that Texas should change it from centerfire to 24 cal centerfire , like 80% of other states, 243 - 6mm should be the set minimum for deer
    Yes I have shot deer with a 223 & 22-250 but IMO they are very marginal
    On deer
    ONLY MEANS ALLOWED Centerfire Rifles .243 or Larger

I didn’t check youth draw hunts so ?

Comment

There’s no need to require .243 minimum caliber.

.224 bullets are plenty capable of killing deer and at longer distances than some people think.

All of my kids have killed plenty of deer with a .223 Handi rifle single shot .223. Just use the proper bullets for the game you are hunting; I.e no varmints bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        There’s no need to require .243 minimum caliber.

.224 bullets are plenty capable of killing deer and at longer distances than some people think.

All of my kids have killed plenty of deer with a .223 Handi rifle single shot .223. Just use the proper bullets for the game you are hunting; I.e no varmints bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I partially agree, and don’t make the rules so I assume it’s done because some people are pure idiots

Comment

I will go out one a limb and state that Texas should change it from centerfire to 24 cal centerfire , like 80% of other states, 243 - 6mm should be the set minimum for deer
          On deer

I partially agree, and don’t make the rulesso I assume it’s done because some people are pure idiots
          So, what part do you agree with?

I've never used anything less than a 30 cal. for deer, in a rifle or handgun. But wouldn't hesitate to use a .223 with the right projectile in certain situations, rifle or handgun. I'm also thinking about all the kids a mild recoiling AR-15 (aks Modern Sporting Rifle) provides for children to take a deer under adult supervision with limited yardage. Put in your requirements, and they may not get to hunt. Maybe we should be like some states and use nothing less than a Slug gun or muzzle loader ? Or nothing less than .620 or .720 cal? (12ga). Maybe using arrows that don't have the same energy as a .243 should be done away with also ? That's not a very good way to manage the native Texas deer population. Especially as prolific as it is in most of the state. I'm all for children starting to hunt as early as possible.

When we start putting more restrictions on types of arms used to hunt with in Texas, we begin to limit our reasons for owning such arms. And begin to restrict our 2nd Amendment rights. You are for our A2 rights aren't you? The more we can use those arms, the more reason we have to own them (excluding tyranny).

And yes, when I gun hunt in Texas, most of my kills have been on public land with a 12ga fully rifled slug gun. Over half have been with a bow. "Most" of the other half with a 12ga fully rifled slug gun. I've got 9 deer kills on private property with centerfire. Lots of hogs on both private and public too. Some with rifle, some with a handgun, some with bow, some with slug gun. And I wouldn't be afraid to use a little .410 90gr slug on a deer either.

In the end, it's all about understanding the weapon you have, it's limitations, and your limitations/skill set with such weapon.
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-16-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

On deer
            Ya, cause a 6mm is devastating...SMH

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I partially agree, and don’t make the rules so I assume it’s done because some people are pure idiots
              Well, it's kind of like blondes or redheads, as long as they are over 18, date whichever you want to because it's legal. Or better yet, date both.

Geez, sounds like a dang democrat trying to tell us it should be this way or that, because hey, they know what's best for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                Well, it's kind of like blondes or redheads, as long as they are over 18, date whichever you want to because it's legal. Or better yet, date both.

Geez, sounds like a dang democrat trying to tell us it should be this way or that, because hey, they know what's best for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
                Heck no! Anyone can shoot what they please. They live with the consequences lol.

Comment

Yep, 5.56 is pretty marginal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On deer
                    why not go ahead and make it a .45 cal minimum,, it works great

Comment

Magnumitis has caused more wounded deer than .22 centerfires. People tend to place shots where they need to go when they are not afraid of the recoil.

Comment

My .357 Maximum hasn't let me down not one time in the last several years.

Comment

I've seen folks with .223 on every draw hunt I've taken Hagen to and H shoot's a 300 blackout which is not equivalent to .243, never had an issue. Matter of fact, Mason Mountain and Colorado Bend didn't even ask what the kids were shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            I like a 25acp
                            Finished a big hog off with my trusty colt vest pocket .25 Saturday.

Comment

At one time didnt Texas Trophy Huntsrs build the ultimate Texas Whitetail cartridge? If I am not mistaken it was a 6mm necked down to .224 shooting 75 grain bullets at around 3600 feet per sec

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                                At one time didnt Texas Trophy Huntsrs build the ultimate Texas Whitetail cartridge? If I am not mistaken it was a 6mm necked down to .224 shooting 75 grain bullets at around 3600 feet per sec
                                224 TTH

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X