Help with Blackening (sic?) Seasoning recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Blackening (sic?) Seasoning recipe

I have a bunch of redfish in the freezer that I need to eat up and would like to make Blackened Redfish.

There are myriad recipes out there on the internet so I'm turning to the culinary brain trust of TBH for help. If you have a tried-and-true recipe for blackening seasoning that you're willing to share, I'd be truly appreciative.

^^^ I was going to suggest the same thing. Hot skillet, good luck, and keep us posted on the success.

Comment

Hot cast iron skillet (outside of course), butter and cajun magic blackening seasoning.

I don't have an actual recipe as that is what we use and its great on redfish, catfish, and we will occasionally use crappie.

Comment

This is ours.

2 TBLSP SALT
        4 TBLSP PAPRIKA
        1 TBLSP CAYENNE
        1/2 TSP THYME
        1/2 TSP GARLIC POWDER
        1/2 TSP BLACK PEPPER
        1/2 TSP TONYS

Get a cast iron skillet heated up outside untill it starts turning white.
        Brush fillets with melted butter and liberally apply seasoning.
        Lay fillets in skillet and get a good sear on both sides and remove and brush with melted butter again. Enjoy.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w7RMuNJrpE"]Blackened Redfish on Castin' Cajun - YouTube[/ame]

Right here! I do it exactly like this and it comes out great every time. Make sure to use fresh squeezed lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
            Hot cast iron skillet (outside of course), butter and cajun magic blackening seasoning.

I don't have an actual recipe as that is what we use and its great on redfish, catfish, and we will occasionally use crappie.
            When you say "outside," do you mean cooking outdoors or cooking on the outside (underside) of the skillet?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              This is ours.

2 TBLSP SALT
              4 TBLSP PAPRIKA
              1 TBLSP CAYENNE
              1/2 TSP THYME
              1/2 TSP GARLIC POWDER
              1/2 TSP BLACK PEPPER
              1/2 TSP TONYS

Get a cast iron skillet heated up outside untill it starts turning white.
              Brush fillets with melted butter and liberally apply seasoning.
              Lay fillets in skillet and get a good sear on both sides and remove and brush with melted butter again. Enjoy.
              I love every ingredient you've listed! As with the other member who mentioned doing this "outside," are you referring to outdoors or the outside of the skillet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                Blackened Redfish on Castin' Cajun - YouTube

Right here! I do it exactly like this and it comes out great every time. Make sure to use fresh squeezed lemons.
                I love lemons and can see how the addition of a small amount of acid might be a good foil to the spicy, earthy flavors of the seasoning ingredients.

Thanks!

Comment

Outside because of the smell and the mess. That’s the reason why I do mine outside

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    I love every ingredient you've listed! As with the other member who mentioned doing this "outside," are you referring to outdoors or the outside of the skillet?
                    Outdoors because when those buttered fillets go on the white hot skillet you will be sending up smoke signals to the entire neighborhood.

Comment

I just watched a video on this topic yesterday. Heat the oven to 475, coat the fish in a seasoning like Chef Pauls, skillet cook in butter until the bottom side is charred, around three minutes, then put the pan in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Pull and enjoy.

Comment

You are OK cooking them inside. As everyone can attest, it is the wife who complains about stinking the entire house up. You are safe. ;-)

Seriously, cook outdoors.

Comment

Here is the recipe I use from Mark’s Daily Apple. The lemon butter really compliments the seasoning and goes great with mild seafood like redfish

1 tablespoon sweet paprika
                          1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less, depending on how spicy you like it)
                          1 teaspoon garlic powder
                          1 teaspoon onion powder
                          3/4 teaspoon black pepper
                          3/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
                          1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                          1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
                          1/2 teaspoon salt
                          2 tablespoons butter or olive oil

Dressing recipe

1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
                          Juice of one lemon
                          1 clove of garlic, crushed

Comment

People that complain about the smell should not be allowed to eat any.

Besides, that vent hood on high does a pretty good job. I like that seasoned smell. Reminds me of how a Cajun restaurant smells when you walk in.

Comment

Working...
                            X