BBQ Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Chicken

Wanting to get some tips/secrets on how the Green Screen does BBQ chicken. I feel my chicken is nice and moist and has a good flavor. But the skin never turns out like I would like. I have definitely not placed at any cookoffs. Heck, I have never made the final table. So here I am looking for some tips. TIA

Originally posted by wags View Post
    Wanting to get some tips/secrets on how the Green Screen does BBQ chicken. I feel my chicken is nice and moist and has a good flavor. But the skin never turns out like I would like. I have definitely not placed at any cookoffs. Heck, I have never made the final table. So here I am looking for some tips. TIA
    Don't smoke it. Most are cooking at 275 - 400. Personally I cook mine on a weber directly over coals and try to keep at about 350. The skin is not very relevant at most cookoffs bc they use a plastic knife and fork, doesn't need to be "bite through". A lot of teams are brining and injecting, be test recipe, bc too much salt is a problem. You want middle of the road; don't offend anyone with a particular flavor profile. My .$.02

Comment

First rule in competition chicken is cook it hot and fast. I cook mine on my Cannon Grill, normally running around 300-325 which typically takes about an hour and 15/20 minutes with a 4.5lb bird.

Brine the night before, get a nice savory brine and put the bird in the brine (i use zip lock bag) and back into the cooler about 7:00 the night before.

Morning of you need to inject 2 hours before you need to have it on the grill. I inject mine with TOD - Cluckcutta, mix per the instructions on the bag. Inject in a foil pan then rub her down. I prefer a salty / peppery rub.

On the grill at 300/325 and let her rip! Throw a hickory wood chunk or 2 in for a touch of smoke flavor. Once your breast is at 155 its time to hit it with the glaze. A sweet glaze always does well, i prefer Craig's Sauce with a touch of the peach mango habanero rib candy, it give it a nice shine and a little pop. Pull once your breast reaches 163, let it rest in cambro uncovered for about 5 minutes, then box and turn in!
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep, brining has been the key to my success with chicken.

TC - that's some dang good looking yard bird!!

Comment

Real bar -b que
          Salt and pepper
          Cook at 325-350 for 1 hr 15
          Sop with cornola oil, lemon juice and butter about every 20 minutes
          Smoke chicken. Same as above except smoke at 225-235 degrees and throw the leathery skin away and eat your smoked chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            Real bar -b que
            Salt and pepper
            Cook at 325-350 for 1 hr 15
            Sop with cornola oil, lemon juice and butter about every 20 minutes
            Smoke chicken. Same as above except smoke at 225-235 degrees and throw the leathery skin away and eat your smoked chicken.
            That will get you a nothing burger in comp. At least any decent comps. Even the little unsanctioned ones you would be hard pressed to get a walk with that recipe.

OP; look at products like LC BBQ Hen Drench, TOD Cluckutta, and others; and then use products like that as your base. Then expand from there. For example just in my injection I use 4 different products that I would say are bases, to get to my final injection product. Once you have your brine and injection, it will be easy to pair with your sauce/glaze. Can't go wrong with a head country or Craigs mixed with Texas Pepper Jelly Rib Glaze.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              First rule in competition chicken is cook it hot and fast. I cook mine on my Cannon Grill, normally running around 300-325 which typically takes about an hour and 15/20 minutes with a 4.5lb bird.

Brine the night before, get a nice savory brine and put the bird in the brine (i use zip lock bag) and back into the cooler about 7:00 the night before.

Morning of you need to inject 2 hours before you need to have it on the grill. I inject mine with TOD - Cluckcutta, mix per the instructions on the bag. Inject in a foil pan then rub her down. I prefer a salty / peppery rub.

On the grill at 300/325 and let her rip! Throw a hickory wood chunk or 2 in for a touch of smoke flavor. Once your breast is at 155 its time to hit it with the glaze. A sweet glaze always does well, i prefer Craig's Sauce with a touch of the peach mango habanero rib candy, it give it a nice shine and a little pop. Pull once your breast reaches 163, let it rest in cambro uncovered for about 5 minutes, then box and turn in!
              I’m speechless

Comment

This weekends bird 4th out of 28 teams:

Comment

I've brined, I've tried low and slow and hot and fast but I cant ever seem to get the skin to come out where you can bite through easy. Always tough.

Comment

How many birds yall cooking when you are cooking in a competition?

Comment

For seasoning, I have been using Texas Oil Dust Barnyard Pimp.
                      We have been getting half chickens buttermilk brined in cryo vac. I set the chickens on a rack, lightly salt them with kosher salt, and put them in the fridge for a few hours. This will help the skin crisp. I inject it with Chicken bone broth from HEB. It's lemongrass jalapeno.
                      My glaze sauce is Headcountry and Prickly Pear Jelly. We cook over direct heat charcoal.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                        How many birds yall cooking when you are cooking in a competition?
                        I usually cook 3 halves, even if I only have to turn in 1 half. Just gives me options and 3-4 fit just fine on weber.

Comment

Working...
                        X