Hike through the Grand Canyon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hike through the Grand Canyon!

Let me start by saying one word to describe the Grande Canyon. GRANDE! In every way possible. I’ve seen it before from the top but Acacia Davis had never seen it. Plan was to hike it today and head home tomorrow. Well, after the disappointing results of her show Friday, I rented a pack for her, two sleeping bags, 2 sleeping blow up pads, a tent, and an ultralight camp stove from REI. I brought my pack for the hike so i was good. (I sure was missing my ultra lite gear I use though lol)

We left out of Phoenix at 4 am and got to the back country info center at the Grand Canyon national park in time to grab a highly sought after permit to camp below the rim. (Got lucky to snag one). Her and I threw our gear on and headed down 4.5 miles and 3200 foot down to camp. As beautiful as this canyon is from the top, it will leave you in awe as you decend. Once at camp we set everything up and had lunch. Enjoyed a nice shower come through and listened to extremely loud thunder rumble and roar off the canyon walls. Next stop, the river! Only another 3.3 miles and 1200 foot down.

Once at the river we took our boots off and dipped some toes in the icy frigid water. Unfortunately, it’s the rainy season so the river was very chocolate. Tossed our boots on and headed back up to camp. Tired by this point was a major understatement. We got back in time to eat some mountain house meals and walk down the trail a few hundred yards to see an amazing sky full of stars and the Milky Way. Then off to bed.

Day 2. Woke up at 5 and made our way out to plateau point. 1.5 miles further. We enjoyed the sun breaking over the rim and lighting up the side of the canyon wall. The river was right below is and we could see the south rim 6 miles above us (where we came in at) and the north rim much further than that. The East and west views went for miles and miles. It was one of our most favorite views. Off to break camp and head out.

At 9:00 we headed up. And let me tell you, gaining 3200 feet of elevation of basically stair stepping with 45 pounds on your back (Caci with 25) SUCKED. That’s the hardest hike I’ve
    ever done. The last 3 miles were absolutely brutal! Never the less, we made it out at 12:15. Hot, tired, worn out, and hurting. In all, over 18 miles hiked and a loss of 4400 feet down only to gain it all back..

Hiking the grande canyon has always been a bucket list to do. Caci has always wanted to see it. I couldn’t think of a better way and better person to experience this with. It makes me incredibly happy to have been able to give this experience to my wife! She is my adventure buddy and i love each and every adventure we share!
    Looking down from the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to the right of Caci’s elbow is a small patch of green. That’s where the camp site was.

Grande muscles in the grande canyon

Had to hike down in that gorge

The switchbacks going down

Comment

Been in more than once, and for a fact, those pictures do a horrible injustice to how it looks in person.
      Looks like ya'll had a blast

Comment

Admiring the Colorado river

Caci showing where we entered in at the top. This was from plateau point

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Been in more than once, and for a fact, those pictures do a horrible injustice to how it looks in person.
          Looks like ya'll had a blast

An absolute horrible injustice. Those last 3 miles coming out were rough. Lol. We both agreed that we may be using our telling poles just to get through the airport tomorrow. Lolol

Comment

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome pics. My 12 year old and I are hiking south rim to north rim the 9th with 2 nights below the rim. I love monsoon season in az. How was the heat? My pack will be 25# my son about 18# as long as there is water available

Comment

Awesome, one of my favorite places

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                  Awesome pics. My 12 year old and I are hiking south rim to north rim the 9th with 2 nights below the rim. I love monsoon season in az. How was the heat? My pack will be 25# my son about 18# as long as there is water available

Was 89 yesterday. Not sure what it was today. 90’s I’m sure. They’ve been getting a lot of rain. They had water stations along the trials. I filled my 3L out of a stream with my katadyn pump filter one day. I’d love to be out on plateau point during a meteor shower. That will be an awesome hike! It’s a long long ways if I remember correctly. 20 something miles if I remember.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your trip pics. Enjoying life to its fullest each day, that’s what it’s all about !!

Comment

That’s cool!!! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Impressive
                        Hiking that elevation change sounds rough

Comment

Outstanding! Congratulations on having a successful adventure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is one fit gal.

Great pics.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X