Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a good guide trip this past weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a good guide trip this past weekend.

Axis was 32 in velvet, blackbuck is 20 with some tight curls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heck yeah! Super nice

Comment

Very nice. Who did you use?

Comment

Great week end. Congrats

Comment

Congratulations, nice shooting.

Comment

Wow! Beautiful animals, congrats to the hunter
            Last edited by kruppa24; 01-09-2022, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Bow, rifle, muzzleloader??

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Very nice. Who did you use?

I guided, didn’t shoot, it’s a ranch I’ve managed for 12 years now. Most of my post are based on this ranch in Pleasanton.

Comment

Dang. Congrats! Give us more details/story/ranch

Comment

Friday evening was the first hunt. Hunter was looking to shoot an axis and blackbuck, possibly a texas dall sheep. I’ve been checking cameras and moving cameras around looking for axis, they are hard to hunt. The blackbuck we have usually stay out in a 160 acre field that we plant and have a pivot on. So, we decided to go sit in a blind where I’ve been seeing axis frequently. Of course, axis don’t show up till well after dark, hunter didn’t mind shooting under the lights, which makes axis hunting out there a lot easier. Had a good axis at the protein feeder which was about 150 yards from the blind. We tried using the thermal that is set on a .308, but he didn’t feel comfortable, so I try a spotlight and his gun, axis did not like that. Drove another planted field and sure enough, found a good axis, got within 175 yards and he made the shot. Wasn’t a good shot. Looked for about 2 hours, found little blood, I had a feeling and from it looked like a broken leg shot. Called it a night and made a game plan to hunt blackbuck early, then look for the axis during daylight. Saturday morning was very foggy, seen some good blackbuck but it was hard to get a shot, so decided to look for the axis. This is where it gets exciting for me as a guide. Knowing the ranch and guiding out there for so long, I tend to know where certain animals like to hang out. Axis on this ranch like the low riparian, creek bottoms. The direction he was running Friday night, was towards that type of area. As I was walking through, I found a set of axis sheds, picked them up and walked about 10 steps. Looked to my left and about 20 yards, an axis buck, which I figured was him, was laying down staring at me. If you know axis, they will not stick around, especially walking up on them. Called the hunter and told him to go back to the ranger and meet me. On my way back, I almost get attacked by pigs, made so much noise I thought I scared the axis out of there, luckily not. Went back in, he was still in the same spot, I got within 15 yards, sucker got up and limped about another 10 yards, that’s when I put another bullet in him and it was done. I wanted the hunter to shoot him, but he wanted me to do it. It was all about the highs and lows, then the highs again. He ended up breaking the front leg Friday evening, we were lucky and blessed to find the animal and put him out of his mystery and have a happy hunter at the same time. We were definitely blessed for that one. He was using a .270, 130 grain Hornady sst.

Blackbuck story later, that was another crazy story.

This pictures shows the area where he stayed over night.

Comment

Red drop pin is where he went in the brush, blue dot is where I found him.

Comment

Working...
                      X