No announcement yet.

Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing in our traps but came across this nice coyote on the way home, big male dog.
    Attached Files

Comment

Trickster

He's jacking with me!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20220131_151849.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	24674962

Name:	20220131_151852.jpg
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	24674963
      But not for long!

Name:	20220131_151623.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	24674964

Name:	20220131_151926.jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	24674965

Comment

This is a set that took him. A tiny little mesquite stump for a backing with a 2 inch hole drilled with an auger.
        Had urine on the stump, and Mark June's Coyote Frenzy on cotton down the hole.

Name:	20220128_162438.jpg
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	24674966

Comment

Ok let’s talk types of sets. I know the most popular right now is the dirt hole but I like to give them other options especially if they have seen trap sets before. These are the ones I know.

Dirt hole set
          Flat set
          Trench set
          Tire set
          Scent pole set
          T-Bone set
          Triangle of death set.
          Cubby set (for cats)

I do variations of them as well. Any others I’m missing. I have 30 traps on the way looking to mix it up some.

Comment

1. Dirt hole set
            It is the old standby, for me.
            2. Flat set
            Another great producer for me.
            3. Trench set
            Too much work/ inefficient.
            4. Tire set
            Had calves snap my trap the one time I used it.
            5. Scent pole set
            Waste of time, in my opinion.
            6. T-Bone set
            It's a variation of the flat set.
            7. Triangle of death set.
            I've caught one on a variation of this, using 4 scents, instead of 3.
            Heard it called the compass set, since it points in 4 directions, like the compass.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
              I have 30 traps on the way looking to mix it up some.
              This is 2nd hand information, but I got the the Mark June video "Reducing the Numbers", and it shows statistics on the sets that catch the most coyotes for them.
              The top two are the basic dirt hole, and something his partner calls the flat top set, which is basically a two punch flat set with two different scents.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                This is 2nd hand information, but I got the the Mark June video "Reducing the Numbers", and it shows statistics on the sets that catch the most coyotes for them.
                The top two are the basic dirt hole, and something his partner calls the flat top set, which is basically a two punch flat set with two different scents.
                I like the idea of a two hole set with a trap in the middle. Gives them options.

Comment

Also,
                  Blind or trail set - no scent, lure, bait used
                  Skull or bone set - with old bone half buried
                  Scat set - at real scat site or staged with scat and scratch marks

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                    Ok let’s talk types of sets. I know the most popular right now is the dirt hole but I like to give them other options especially if they have seen trap sets before. These are the ones I know.
                    The government trapper turned private professional trapper Craig O'Gorman, out of Montana, came up with something he called the mafia set. He called it that because he said it was an offer they could not refuse. It is 2 traps, bedded on a trail, with a terd in between the 2 traps.

Name:	20200603_200726.jpg
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	24674991
                    The traps would of course be covered, and the stick represents the poop.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Nothing in our traps but came across this nice coyote on the way home, big male dog.
                      Wytex I love to catch coyotes, but dive by shooting is the most fun. I’m in coyote country all the time but rarely see any coyotes to shoot because I’m always looking for tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                        The government trapper turned private professional trapper Craig O'Gorman, out of Montana, came up with something he called the mafia set. He called it that because he said it was an offer they could not refuse. It is 2 traps, bedded on a trail, with a terd in between the 2 traps.

[ATTACH]1079232[/ATTACH]
                        The traps would of course be covered, and the stick represents the poop.
                        I like that one!

I had a skunk we shot in the yard a couple of yeas back. I had my son bury it about 2ft down. I had every coyote with in 10 miles digging up
                        My yard. I never forgot that and plan on doing a buried skunk flat set the next time I run across one. They dug up my yard for 3 nights straight it was crazy.

Comment

This cold snap for us and a day off will allow the spouse to get fleshing and I will put up our cats and coyotes for selling, we hope anyway.
                          Might end up with tanned bobcat pelts and coyotes to sell if prices aren't right from the fur buyer.

Comment

Happy belated birthday to me :-)

These k9 extremes are built like a tank ! They’re going in the dirt in the morning.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Did you find those online ? Have heard good things about them.
                              Did you have to touch up the night latch at all ?

Looking forward to some catch pics.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                                Did you find those online ? Have heard good things about them.
                                Did you have to touch up the night latch at all ?

Looking forward to some catch pics.
                                F&T had them. The 3 I put in the ground this morning needed nothing. Good to go in the dirt right out of the box. I think I cleaned the night latch with my knife but it really didn’t need it. Going to try and get the other 8 set in the morning. They are a real jump in quality. You really get your moneys worth

Had two yotes this morning both on Duke 550 pros and one pull out by a dog I’ve been after for a month.
                                Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-04-2022, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X