Start at Atoka or McGee Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start at Atoka or McGee Creek?

I archery deer hunted Western OK last October, Sandy Sanders & Black Kettle. I've changed my dates this year to mid-November and have unexpectedly found myself on the Quail opener. Can't change my dates.

The biologists in the West said it's pretty busy and I may have better opportunity in the Central or East.

I've looked at OnX, Google Earth, ODWC Harvest Reports and now I need opinions if you've been there and are willing to share your thoughts.

Should I focus on Atoka WMA (Not the PHA), or should I focus on McGee Creek? Both are basically Archery only for deer (and some controlled hunts).

I've got the option for ground or tree saddle if that makes a difference.

Any input?

Bump once.

If you hunt this area, what is the status of buck movement right now? What is your assumption for rut movement in two weeks?

PM if you prefer.

Comment

I've hunted both in the controlled hunts and both have lots of deer. Highly hunted with pressure though.

Good luck. I always did well down at the Blue River if you can make that work.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I’d be happy with a doe, so good to know there are good deer numbers.

Comment

If you want to do James Collins I can give you coordinates on a great spot. Just hunted up there on a youth controlled hunt with my son and it was way too hot and they had probably the worst youth hunt they've had(3 does and 2 small bucks harvested out of 32 kids). But the last day we went exploring and we found a great spot that is a funnel between two big hills along a creek with multiple trails coming into it and two scrapes. It's a little back in there and secluded but would be a great spot and I didn't see any sign of other hunter setups anywhere nearby which is hard to find on public land. We actually jumped a big buck the first day that ran back down this trail 1/4mile or so away but instead of following it to see where the trails went we backed out and hunted another opening nearby instead. If I didn't have to buy an expensive out of state license I would have headed back up there to hunt it with a bow. Not sure I'll ever get up there so don't mind sharing.

Comment

I’d start at McGee creek. Tons of deer and hogs there. They are chasing in that area right now. I hunt about 15-20 miles north of there.

Comment

When you say “controlled hunt” does that mean you have to be drawn or do they draw each morning type of thing. I’m only asking because I’m wanting to hunt an “Archery Only” place if possible. I don’t care where I just want it to be regulated for no firearm use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Collins and McGee will be bow only. Can’t remember on Atoka. They all have controlled hunts with gun and or muzzleloader. Look at the go outdoors Oklahoma app. It will have a controlled hunt section. They close down the WMAs during these hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                  When you say “controlled hunt” does that mean you have to be drawn or do they draw each morning type of thing. I’m only asking because I’m wanting to hunt an “Archery Only” place if possible. I don’t care where I just want it to be regulated for no firearm use

I think controlled hunts are what they call their draw hunts.

Comment

Working...
                  X