School me on timed protein feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought two ASF 600# stand and fill timed protein feeders. I’ve never used a timed protein feeder and am not familiar with how they work.

I am guessing I set the timer to go off a couple times a day. I’m going to put them near my corn feeders so I assume I see the time similar to the corn feeder?

How long do I see the timer?

I’m in the western hill country for deer population reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You mean “ set the timer?” If you have some wild life set it “medium” right now. It’s cold so give em some feed go get the party started

Comment

Where is “ western hill country?”

Comment

I would start off with running a couple of seconds. Bump it up if needed depending on how the deer clean the tray.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Where is “ western hill country?”

Northern Mason County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by trippletap View Post
            I would start off with running a couple of seconds. Bump it up if needed depending on how the deer clean the tray.
            This. Treat it just like a corn feeder in terms of times.

Comment

I just started using one myself in Sutton county. We have tons of deer. A typical sit we see anywhere from 20 to 40 deer. I built a new feed pen 12 panels round and got it going at 1 second twice a day. It took the deer a little bit to get used to jumping in the pen and eating from it. I’m headed out there next week to turn it up to either 2 or 3 seconds. I will say 2 seconds seems like it puts out quite a bit of feed.

Comment

Mix some corn in the first couple of bags. Deer will get on it pretty quick. Two seconds 2x per day is plenty. Check back in a few weeks, if the trays are clean then turn it up. If they are backed up, then leave it or turn down.

Comment

ASF 1000lb timed protein feeder here, set it for 2-3 seconds until animals get use to it. Took mine a month and you can progressively turn it up. I’m doing 10 seconds in the morning and 6 evening (less feed for coons).

Comment

Mix 50 lbs of corn and 50lbs of protein in a 5 gallon bucket(will take a few fills to get it all done). Put it in first. Then stack your straight protein on top of it.

First off I’m 5 hours away and try to get up once a month or once every 2 months ‘minimum so I’m not able to just fling large amounts and hope they clear it off. I mostly run 3 seconds twice a day. It fills up my trays and my deer empty it. Your hopper “post spin” between the spinner and the trays holds 75 lbs. you don’t want to feed so much that it backs up and puts your spinner motor in a bind . You want to feed just enough so that they clean it up for you. I have found that during the spring on first green up and the fall acorn drop I have to cut it back to 2 and 2 or 1 and 1 when they arent hitting it. In the summer and winter when they are destroying it, I go as high as 5 and 5. You just need to get a feel for your deer and their consumption. We have a fairly high deer population and those numbers work well for me. I also don’t want them hitting it at night during season, so the lower amount kinda trains the mature deer they need to be there if they want some. I went with timed protein feeders to not only give the deer some added supplement all year but also to up my in season game as an attractant for the mature deer.

One other thing. If your hopper backs up, just scrape it off into a 5 gallon bucket and dump it back into the top. You can scrape at the little inlet holes on all 4 sides until it all empties. Ive had to do it a couple times over the past 3-4 years when they jumped off protein while I was gone. Luckily you don’t waste any . You just don’t want it backing up so much it binds your spinner. Just watch and get to know your deer’s consumption in general. I am probably considered an under feeder but I live too far away to let more fly than I do if they aren’t eating it.

Comment

What Smart said ^^^^^^

Comment

Smart pretty well covered it.

My advice. Feed antlers plus brand from the Mason Feed store. Start at 1 second per feeding. Twice a day. Then walk it up. 2 seconds per spin on mine was quite a bit of feed. And remember the 600 lb weight rating is corn weight. Not protein. That feeder only holds 450 lbs of protein. I was pretty mad the first time I filled mine up lol. Great feeder though.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Smart pretty well covered it.

My advice. Feed antlers plus brand from the Mason Feed store. Start at 1 second per feeding. Twice a day. Then walk it up. 2 seconds per spin on mine was quite a bit of feed. And remember the 600 lb weight rating is corn weight. Not protein. That feeder only holds 450 lbs of protein. I was pretty mad the first time I filled mine up lol. Great feeder though.

Hell you should have been happy. Cheaper to fill.[emoji12][emoji23]. I was questioning it at first until I read they do advertise it at 600lbs corn weight. **** mfg plants using the same hoppers/storage bin as their corn to make the mfg process more efficient I guess.

My two hold about 11 sacks of Palmers Eco 17% feed (small pellet)to the top of the rim. Maybe a tad over in the middle but the lid fits enough.[emoji41]So 550 lbs .. the good thing is that we get the same volume at less cost.[emoji41][emoji12][emoji23]
                          Last edited by Smart; 01-26-2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Hell you should have been happy. Cheaper to fill.[emoji12][emoji23]. I was questioning it at first until I read they do advertise it at 600lbs corn weight. **** mfg plants using the same hoppers/storage bin as their corn to make the mfg process more efficient I guess.

My two hold about 11 sacks of Palmers Eco 17% feed (small pellet)to the top of the rim. Maybe a tad over in the middle but the lid fits enough.[emoji41]So 550 lbs .. the good thing is that we get the same volume at less cost.[emoji41][emoji12][emoji23]
                            It went empty too fast lol. Never heard of that feed. I’m fixing to fire back up on the antlers plus on the new place. It really did good on my Mason place.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              It went empty too fast lol. Never heard of that feed. I’m fixing to fire back up on the antlers plus on the new place. It really did good on my Mason place.

I get about 1.75 months out of mine at 3 and 3…so it works out for my trips.

Comment

Working...
                              X