Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nilgai hunt leaving in two days- any last min advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai hunt leaving in two days- any last min advice?

Well another ER doc and I both get out of the ER Thursday morning and are making the drive to Raymondville with Insight Outdoors to hunt Nilgai. Couldn't get a bow hunt, but I don't mind busting out the .300WM. We just couldn't get it set up for archery.

Any recommendations on gear? Last min things to take?

Shots are supposed to be less than 200yrds and they are supposed to be rutting.

Taking my spotting glass. We are going to stop and get a good bottle of whiskey. We just got back from Costa Maya less than a week ago LOL and have some good cigars. Taking some Shiner Bock's.

I'm going to take ribeyes and axis sausage- although it's all inclusive, I like to cook for the group when I hunt- aka the two of us hunters and our guide.

I"m also going to take the stuff to make Nilgai heart ceviche like Steve Rinella did on his hunt.

Anything else? Recommendations? Advice?

BTW- Using Hornady ELDX 200gr, sighted in at 100yrds, 2.5inch measured low at 200yrds.

Cody has some good country and is a great guy!

Enjoy the heck out of it!

Comment

Don't miss.....

Comment

I’m going not far from there to hunt them next week. Good luck!

Comment

Whiskey, groceries, good glass, and a bigass rifle....you got the right recipe so far!

Not much to it beyond that, cruise around into the wind till you find one, then sneak up on him and shoot him right square in the shoulder as many times as he will allow.

We will be after them down there next month.

Comment

I doubt you will need anything other than what you are bringing. Cody should have you guys covered. The one thing I would recommend is to bring something to keep your legs and feet dry for Friday's hunt if you guys end up doing any walking (mud boots and frog tog pants). The grass is still pretty high and if you get to walking off the road it will be up to your belt line. It's going to be cold and wet down here and wet feet and legs can put an end to a hunt. Saturday will be primo hunting weather for nilgai.

Comment

I was down that way last week and between the taller grass and dust my allergies started killing me. Just a PSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                I doubt you will need anything other than what you are bringing. Cody should have you guys covered. The one thing I would recommend is to bring something to keep your legs and feet dry for Friday's hunt if you guys end up doing any walking (mud boots and frog tog pants). The grass is still pretty high and if you get to walking off the road it will be up to your belt line. It's going to be cold and wet down here and wet feet and legs can put an end to a hunt. Saturday will be primo hunting weather for nilgai.
                I've got good wet weather gear, light weight and breathable from First Lite. I've also got some nice gaiters to keep dry with. I'll take the mud boots just in case.

I worked all night, travel and have meetings all day and then back to the ER in the morning. I haven't even checked weather yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Whiskey, groceries, good glass, and a bigass rifle....you got the right recipe so far!

Not much to it beyond that, cruise around into the wind till you find one, then sneak up on him and shoot him right square in the shoulder as many times as he will allow.

We will be after them down there next month.
                  Heck yeah. Basics covered! Good luck next week.

Comment

Good luck!!!

Comment

Good luck Doc!! Waitin' on LDP's now!! Take lots of cooler capacity!! Them's some good eats!

Comment

Sounds amazing! I'll come "help" enjoy all that with y'all!

The heart ceviche makes my mouth water. Post pics!

I would take some type of shin protection. I use wrap around snake leggings that are semi hard. Helps when tracking through thorny brush. Or knee high boots.

Additionally, I would keep a pair of rain pants handy. I sometimes just wear camo frogtog pants down there for in the mornings. A cold damp morning walking through tall grass can get you soaked, cold and uncomfortable pretty quick.

Maybe even a camera to record each others stalk & shot.

If stay near water, of course a rod & reel and some tackle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of times you'll see a bull, and if you waste time to shoot = no nilgai.

Look for the white throat patch, an old blue bull will blend in the brush very, very well.

If it were me sighting in I would had done 2.5-3" high at 100, so i'm about 3" low at 300, anyways, good luck!

Comment

Just as mentioned above. Cruise into the wind and try to avoid the temptation to shoot behind the shoulder. Square shoulder shot will work every time. 300 should be fine but be ready for a back up shot. All we use are 257 Wby mags with 100 grain spire points. Vegetation is all dead now and we are finally seeing and getting a lot more shot opportunities compared to early last month. Good luck out there I’ll be headed toward Norias manana, our clients come in Thursday, hopefully we can get them a good buck and a bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              All we use are 257 Wby mags with 100 grain spire points.
                              No ****?

How often do you get an exit wound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X