No announcement yet.

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes sir 2 rounds a year, spring and fall. I try and spread them 6 months apart, March to September or April to October. Either works just fine.

I'm no help with the goat pellets as I have no experience feeding them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang this is good to know I’m fighting Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever get those ticks before they can hurt any thing else.Heck maby I should munch on some of that myself

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
        Dang this is good to know I’m fighting Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever get those ticks before they can hurt any thing else.Heck maby I should munch on some of that myself
        Tornado,?is that you?

Comment

Bumping this back up. I have been feeding the medicated feed for 4 years on our pasture in South Texas, and shot a deer that field dressed 238.5! Not sure if it works, but we killed cull bucks in one weekend that averaged 202# field dressed. We feed protein and cottonseed as well

Comment

Is there a way to tell if your deer herd really needs medicated protein? Can you only tell through fecal samples or can you tell by looking at their bodies and overall health? Just trying to figure out whether or not we should add it to our feed in March. I'm all for finding ways to improve our overall deer herd health so I'm all ears. Thanks for any input!

Comment

We have never done a fecal test but I'm pretty much going off body weights in general. We hunt in Freer and generally have big bodied deer, but they have gotten much bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                I’ve been using a wormer in feed every spring at green up for years both La and Mexico. It makes sense to me that reducing or eliminating the parasitic load can only help. I hate finding deer with a bazillion ticks on them. Can’t be good. I don’t buy the idea that worming deer may create immunity problems. What I know for sure is that deer without wormer can be loaded with internal and external parasites. Reducing or eliminating that can only help just like w any mammal
                This is all I got to hear to know it works. This man can grow deer!

Comment

This is a fascinating thread and I'm all for finding ways to improve the overall health of our deer herd! After reading all of the comments, I think we are going to put 200lbs of the medicated protein into each one of our 5 protein feeders (1,000lbs total) and then top them off with our regular 20% deer pellet to ensure the feeders are FULL. This will provide the deer with around 7 to 10 days worth of the medicated feed and then they will have the standard 20% pellet once they go through all the medicated feed. I have to believe that providing the medicated feed in all 5 of our protein feeders on our 400 acres will essentially feed most of our deer herd. Let me know yalls thoughts. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X