Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the sideway pics.

Comment

good stuff bud! glad you guys had fun....interesting on all the axis you saw, i dont think anyone saw any while we were there.

congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
        good stuff bud! glad you guys had fun....interesting on all the axis you saw, i dont think anyone saw any while we were there.

congrats!
        I was very surprised also, however we were the closest area to the ranch house and there isn't any hunting in the ranch house area so I think that had something to do with it. I still see axis near the ranch house and the landing strip when we run the airboat over there.

Comment

Congrats Crazzy.. yeah the compartmentalization of the animals is interesting - some didn't see whitetails the whole time, and we'd heard the same, that the axis hang out by the old ranch house. My older boy shot one around there back in 2016.

Apparently the Sambar are quite destructive to the landscape; my sons were shown a fenced off section of wetland that had tons of grassy vegetation in contrast with the surrounding area which was trampled and barren - which was attributed to Sambars. Still, it's kind of sad that the long term plan is to eliminate such a unique thing.

Here's an attempt at a pic, from google photos... for how long does google guarantee this URL won't change? TBH.com may be due for an upgrade on the forum software from the 1998 model we're currently running

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMun47AZHiV1tAG17

Last edited by gburk; 01-24-2022, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Great job dads, lots of good meat and memories made!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

would be nice if i could get these images to embed! sorry!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qwnezQv73F3LwjV7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hccpZ4SogXXS5ogn6

Comment

pics
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it was an amazing experience! Awesome! Way to go guys!

Comment

Awesome experiences guys

TxDad Outdoors-YouTube

Comment

Here’s a secret Tpwd doesn’t want you to know. After breaking down all the quarters the sambar is considerably better than whitetail. Milder flavor, breaks down easier, quite tender and of course, you get 3x the meat for the same amount of work... Though maybe we have a “tenderness outlier” since it was a cow with calf. (Yeah rather cold blooded on their part i thought)

Comment

Congratulations to these young hunters, and great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                          Here’s a secret Tpwd doesn’t want you to know. After breaking down all the quarters the sambar is considerably better than whitetail. Milder flavor, breaks down easier, quite tender and of course, you get 3x the meat for the same amount of work... Though maybe we have a “tenderness outlier” since it was a cow with calf. (Yeah rather cold blooded on their part i thought)
                          so we were told while we there that most people end up griding up all their sambar. everyone said the flavor was great but that they are usually pretty tough. we cooked the tenderloins from ours the first night we got home, medium rare, and the flavor was awesome. i honestly dont really care for whitetail much unless its sausage or jerky, the sambar was MUCH better to me, but it was really chewy. sliced really thin it wasnt bad, but it wasnt tender like beef.

i gave a bunch of ours to some guys at work that had it made into ground and summer sausage and they love it, all have said its better than whitetail.

Comment

I would have expected the spike y’all shot to be as tender as our cow, but I guess not. The tenderloin we had was unbelievable in taste and texture. I also smoked a section of ribs and they turned out fantastic. Wax-like tallow around the breastbone should be trimmed next time as there was fairly a lot of it. Had some flatiron yesterday (aged a week) and it was very good but a little bit chewy.

I’ve got a little more time on a bloody garage fridge before wife loses her **** so I’ll use that and see if another week of aging helps

Comment

congrats to all!

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                                I would have expected the spike y’all shot to be as tender as our cow, but I guess not. The tenderloin we had was unbelievable in taste and texture. I also smoked a section of ribs and they turned out fantastic. Wax-like tallow around the breastbone should be trimmed next time as there was fairly a lot of it. Had some flatiron yesterday (aged a week) and it was very good but a little bit chewy.

I’ve got a little more time on a bloody garage fridge before wife loses her **** so I’ll use that and see if another week of aging helps
                                haha i saved a backstrap and ham from our big one, a buddy that fancies himself a smoker man is going to try to smoke them and see how they turn out.

Comment

Working...
                                X