X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They will kill hogs too.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      I wouldn’t look at that tree to hard or it might break in half……those trees suck
      Yep. Ask my brother. Broke both arms just below his wrists when he was 8 y/o when a limb broke out from under him.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
        Good ammo for slingshots.
        Bad to shoot them and spread the seeds.
        This. We had many chinaberry fights with slingshots as kids. Old but good memories.

Comment

I grew up in the Panhandle, so I'm not up on all the trees.

Comment

We had one of those in my back yard and it would make me sick.

We had a fort built up in it and every time we played in it the branch would break and we’d fall out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
              Good ammo for slingshots.
              Bad to shoot them and spread the seeds.
              Slingshots or if you could find some good size ones, just throw them to each other. Awesome weapons of opportunity…..

Comment

20x is a significant amount in one afternoon and would worry me about an obstruction in the stomach or intestines. Maybe too many berries at once or ate something completely different?

Any x-rays taken?

Edit: We don’t have chinaberries down here that I’ve had to deal with, but apparently they can be extremely toxic and can cause death if consumed in large quantities.

The Colorado State University Guide to Poisonous Plants database lists trees, shrubs and perennials that can be harmful to animals. The Poisonous Plant Guide is constructed to enable location of a plant by either knowing the common or botanical name of the plant.
                Last edited by BigRed323; 01-12-2022, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                  20x is a significant amount in one afternoon and would worry me about an obstruction in the stomach or intestines. Maybe too many berries at once or ate something completely different?

Any x-rays taken?

Edit: We don’t have chinaberries down here that I’ve had to deal with, but apparently they can be extremely toxic and can cause death if consumed in large quantities.

https://csuvth.colostate.edu/poisono...nts/Details/78
                  I don't know if the vet did X-rays or not. They talked about her eating pecans and antlers and bones, so they at least talked about obstructions. I thought about the berries later. I'm betting that's what the problem is. I think that her throwing up that much is a good thing, if she ate something toxic. At least she got rid of it all (hopefully).

Comment

She's a dang good dog. Just a puppy still. Not even a year old yet.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

She's fine now. She spent the night and most of today at the vet. Puking it all up likely helped. Good as new today. We picked up all the berries we could find. More still on the tree. Gonna talk to the owner of the tree about cutting it down.

We put the electric collar on her and set some berries out. Zapped her when she put her nose on them. Only took 2. After that, she wouldn't go near them. Maybe that'll help.

Comment

Good news Shane, was just reading this again when you posted this update. Hope the neighbor makes firewood of that tree. Great hunting (and Santa!) pics of this cool pup.

Comment

The tree is right on the fence, close to the house and chimney and power line, with a shed 10' away. Gonna be fun getting it down.

Comment

Yeah Shane, I see the tree in your 4th pic right next to the fence and see the electric line going to the house too. Pretty tight work to bring that one down.

Comment

Shane--

If your elect. meter is on your house, you should be able to get the electric co. to come take it down. The line is thiers to the meter and looks to be within 10' of the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                                Shane--

If your elect. meter is on your house, you should be able to get the electric co. to come take it down. The line is thiers to the meter and looks to be within 10' of the tree.
                                I'll pass that on. That would be helpful. The house, tree, and electric line belongs to the owner of the house next to my son's house (both rent houses). We're just hoping that the guy next door will get rid of the chinaberry tree that's dropping berries into my son's dog pen.

Comment

Working...
                                X