Tuning issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning issues

I normally shoot traditional. Recently dug out the wheel bow just for kicks. Bow tech diamond edge 60#. It was set up by a pro shop several years ago and tuned. Haven't changed any of my setup. Been stored in a case inside the house since I went to the recurve. Started shooting it again this week and I've noticed arrows fishtailing in flight and pretty bad accuracy past 15-20 yards. It used to not do this. I've tried paper tuning. It's tearing paper with nock high and to the right. From what I understand this would indicate the rest needs to move left and up a hair, however no amount of adjustment in rest or nocking point is solving the issue. Before I moved anything I noted where it was originally so I could go back to that. I don't suspect an issue with arrow spine (gold tip 55/75 28" 100gr tip) since they worked fine before. Kinda stumped here not sure what to do next to try and solve the issue. Also shot a bare shaft at 10-15 yards, it's consistently tail high and right and POI is low and left. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Probably get it setup again. Set the center shot. Get the arrow going through the Berger hole. Check the timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Diamonds are famous for not holding a tune. It happens to all bows however. My first thought is to try shooting through paper holding the string about 2” from your face and see what happens. If there are no tear changes, check the timing (probably need to speed up bottom cam) and maybe twist the bow string a few twists (probably stretched over time and lost #’s).

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        Diamonds are famous for not holding a tune. It happens to all bows however. My first thought is to try shooting through paper holding the string about 2” from your face and see what happens. If there are no tear changes, check the timing (probably need to speed up bottom cam) and maybe twist the bow string a few twists (probably stretched over time and lost #’s).

This bow has the binary cam correct?

Check the obvious first. Center shot and nock angle. The cams if they are what I think the are, can’t technically go out of sync… but of course can be out of efficiency. If sat very long could sure enough be that (string and cable stretched)

Correct vertical issue, then horizontal. If either gets more than 1/8” out could be cam lean or other issues that a pro shop can help with
        Last edited by Low Fence; 12-18-2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I tried shooting away from my face just to be sure I wasn't affecting release with my face. I did discover some pretty serious cam lean on both, adjusted yoke with a few twists and got them straightened up. After doing that I was able to tune by adjusting the rest and get good results.Getting bullet holes in paper now.

Comment

[QUOTE=HighwayHunter;15998861]Diamonds are famous for not holding a tune. It happens to all bows however. My first thought is to try shooting through paper holding the string about 2” from your face and see what happens. If there are no tear changes, check the timing (probably need to speed up bottom cam) and maybe twist the bow string a few twists (probably stretched over time and lost #’s).

Now you've got me considering a new bow that will hold a tune better. I know all the wheel bows get out of tune over time with use but I would like to find something that requires minimal maintenance. I have been considering something with some more # anyways. This one is maxed at 60. I would like to go to 70. Any recommendations? Also what's the advantage of single cam vs binary? Binary faster I assume?

Comment

Strings probably stretched causing the timing to be off. I would start with cam timing .

Comment

If you need a new set of strings/cables, I endorse Wicked Twisted Bowstrings. They offer BCY and Bloodline materials. I’m really impressed with the Bloodline and the craftsmanship of their serving. Feel free to use my 10% off discount code “DC” at checkout.
                Wicked Twisted Bowstrings makes custom bowstrings for bows used for archery. Trader Jan's is a full service Archery Pro Shop.

Comment

Working...
                X