cheap recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap recurve

I would like to get a recurve to play around with. Probably not hunt, for sure not this year, but potentially in the future. I do have some sets that I get deer within ten yards. For me starting out just to see if I like it, are any of the $100 range bows good enough to start? Its go big or go home with me for my compound set up, but I dont want to throw much money at something I have no clue if I will even like. BTW it will have to be a lefty

Sammick Sage is generally considered to be an excellent starter bow and can be had for just over $100.

Trad archery is very addicting and fufilling, imo more so than shooting with a compound.

Also, we have an excellent trad section here with knowledgable shooters, it def. shortened my learning curve asking questions on here.

Start with around a 40 lb draw, get appropriate spined arrows and start having fun.

It can be VERY frustrating in the beginning but stick with it and you'll find its a very rewarding pastime

Comment

Samick will get the job done. It will kill

Comment

I have a 40# left handed Samick Sage I will sell you for $85. I bought it for one of my sons trying to get him into trad and I think he shot about 10 arrows before deciding it wasn’t for him. PM me if interested

Comment

cheap recurve

Cool part about those Samicks is you can find replacement limbs as well. 25lbs is awesome for working on form. It also depends on your draw length. If you’re a longer draw, those samicks can stack to 50-55# at 30 or longer. If you’re shorter it’ll be less.

The other bow id suggest for practice only is the PSE snake.

I had horrible target panic when I swapped over to trad from compound and it was great for working on form. It’s only around 20lbs, but it has a shelf cut on either side of it, so it’s great for multiple shooters, especially if you have kids 8 and up. Only thing you’ll have to do is set your nockset. And if it gets messed up you’re only out around $60.

Whichever bow you go with, I highly recommend going by a pro shop to get arrows for it. Big box stores are pretty much worthless when it comes to getting the spine right on a trad bow.

Nearly 2 decades ago Bass Pro set me up with 400 spine arrows out of a 45lb longbow. The arrows did a 180 before they ever got down range!
          Last edited by Kirby86; 10-05-2022, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I'm in the same boat and the Black Hunter comes highly recommended by the guys on the trad forum and the reviews are fantastic. The have a takedown recurve and long bow. Check them out on youtube!

Comment

Jerp's offer is a good one. If you don't like, you can easily sell the bow for $85. There are people looking for Sages all the time.

Comment

So Javelin - how’s it going so far with the recurve?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  So Javelin - how’s it going so far with the recurve?
                  Pretty good actually. I have not shot much but I got it set up and shot a couple days. At 15 yards I can keep a group inside a pie plate all day. I have had a busy week but hope to shoot some this weekend. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                    Pretty good actually. I have not shot much but I got it set up and shot a couple days. At 15 yards I can keep a group inside a pie plate all day. I have had a busy week but hope to shoot some this weekend. Thanks
                    That's a great start - glad to hear it

Comment

Working...
                    X