Knife Build Along - Hidden Tang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife Build Along - Hidden Tang

After 12 or so years of making full tang knives, I decided to take a little time for myself to explore the Hidden tang build. This was my first hidden tang project and it was a blast with a few frustrations mixed in along the way. I won't bore you with all the details but the pictures pretty well tell the story. There were times I didn't have the "right" tools to pull off what was needed but a few improvisions and made it to the finish line. Thanks for taking a look and feel free to share any thoughts as well! I used Cocobolo and a nice little 1/8" mosaic pin to set it off for the handle. Pics are in order from original drawing to the final photo shoot... I didn't mean for the photos to be this big so sorry for blowing up the screen haaaa! (I did some additional sanding and waxing after the photo was taken but still close to the image at the end)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 06-06-2022, 03:12 PM.

In a nutshell, it looked like this:
    1) draw up knife (more details here )
    2) grind out blade (more details here...)
    2.5) Hand file design you like if desired - I prefer to actually use files and hand file them vs. using a dremel - I really believe the file work looks so much better and stands above the Pakistani blades you see with notches in them. It takes much longer as well but imo it's well worth it.
    3) measure width and length of point where guard will hit blade and draw on brass guard then carefully drill holes - Use a dremel or file to connect holes then carefully file to size just smaller than needed
    4) Measure hole for Wood insert and carefully mark then drill and connect holes for opeing - great fun here! hardly....
    5) Press fit guard, epoxy wood (did i mention drilling your hole in blade and making sure that matches up with the hole you drill in wood?)
    5.5) Place and epoxy pin (can peen a simple pin as well)
    6) Place an anvil on top because you didn't plan ahead to make a large clamp gadget to press fit the entire knife together...
    7) Shape handle with grinder, files and sandpaper
    8) Oil
    9) Done, pretty simple really...
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 06-07-2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Very nice Brian...

Comment

That looks awesome Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          Very nice Brian...
          Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          That looks awesome Brian.
          Thank you friends!! Appreciate it

Comment

Beautiful work!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
              Beautiful work!
              Thanks Cody, it really was great fun! I've got some thoughts on a future one to use a block I have that's half resin and half california burl. I think if I finish out the handle portion of the blade nicely and etch it, you might see it through the clear part of the block and that would be cool....

Comment

Great looking blade!!

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
                  Great looking blade!!
                  Thanks much. I like the overall shape a lot and will probably extend the clip a little longer on the next

Comment

Very nice amigo!

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                      Very nice amigo!
                      Muchas gracias amigo!

Comment

very classy knife. Love the cocobolo handle, the wood tone and shape.
                        Excellent job!

Comment

Beautiful design and I bet it's very well balanced in the hand!

Comment

Beauty, well done

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              very classy knife. Love the cocobolo handle, the wood tone and shape.
                              Excellent job!
                              Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
                              Beautiful design and I bet it's very well balanced in the hand!
                              Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                              Beauty, well done
                              Thank you gents. It does seem to balance really well on the pointer finger. A local fellow bought it after sending him a photo so I get visitation rights. Really looking forward to getting my new grinder up and running to start on the next one. The current project is a set of 6 that have fordite inlays in them. A piece of Americana!

Comment

Working...
                              X