Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
ETXBUFFALO
Four Point

Default .50 cal black powder sabot/bullet recommendations

I'm new to BP shooting and I like to know what loads and bullets other hunters are using. I have a TC encore .50 and currently not getting a good shot group with loads that came with rifle. I bought the rifle and shooting supplies from a TBH member 2 years ago. Have TC 275 grain maxi-hunter and 295 grain Powerbelt bullets. I use two Hodgdon tiple 7 pellets when I shoot. I hunt late season deer and hogs in east TX. Currently shooting off bench I can only get 3" group at fifty yards. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated
ETXBUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
HogCommander
Four Point

I get good results with TC Shockwave bullets (250 grain sabots) and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder...groups around 2" at 100 yards with my CVA Optima V2.
HogCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #3
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

In my Encore I like TC Shockwave sabots with 250 gr bullet and 2 Triple 7 pellets. I get around 2" groups at 100 yds. I get about the same size groups if I use 3 pellets but the recoil is brutal.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
mudkat
Ten Point

Hunt In: rusk county

i’ve been cleaning mine between every shot
when you shoot at a deer it’s going to be from a clean cold barrel mine tends to shoot way different from a fouled barrel
it’s a pain in the butt but oh well lol
i didn’t think the powerbelt bullets killed very good either i went to the tc shockwave with the sabot seam to perform better than the powerbelt
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
Chase4556
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkat View Post
iíve been cleaning mine between every shot
when you shoot at a deer itís going to be from a clean cold barrel mine tends to shoot way different from a fouled barrel
itís a pain in the butt but oh well lol
i didnít think the powerbelt bullets killed very good either i went to the tc shockwave with the sabot seam to perform better than the powerbelt
My CVA Wolf is the same way. Without a clean barrel it widens the group a LOT. I thoroughly clean it after every shot at the range. My method, everyone has their own, is to hit the barrel with foaming bore cleaner and let it sit while I clean the breech plug and flash hole. I use a properly sized drill bit to clean the flash hole by hand of any carbonÖ really get it clean. Then turn to the barrel hitting it with a bore brush and patching until clean. Time for shot #2, rinse and repeat. Tedious, time consuming, but gives me a warm and fuzzy on what the rifle will do on a clean bore come deer season.

Said all that to say my Wolf will clover leaf three Hornady 240gr XTPs over two triple 7 pellets at 100yds when I follow that procedure.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002234214
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

I shoot only loose powder and 350gr 50 cal Buffalo lead bullets.

This is my preference because of very lethal under 3" groups at 100yds.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 01-23-2022 at 03:54 PM.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

IMO: Pellets don't get you the flexibility to further testing and truly dial-in the powder/load.

I hear shooters that like the all copper Powerbelts. I have some, still haven't opened box or the tray of Pyro-pellets.

If the law will allow me to sling lead out of the barrel, I always opt for the lead on big game (elk, bear, muley)
Old 01-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #8
ohuett
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas/Alabama

Iíve been using 295gr hollow point PowerBelts for the last two years but Iíve recently decided to make a switch. The PowerBelts load and shoot good in my CVA Wolf but they donít hold up when shooting deer. Iíve been lucky to recover all the deer Iíve shot with them but they definitely seem to have run farther than they shouldíve. There are plenty of YouTube videos where people show the PowerBelts disintegrating on impact. The only point Iím trying to make is if you want to punch paper, PowerBelts are goodÖif you are planning on hunting, research a little bit before deciding on what bullet to use.

Iíve decided to try the Thor Hammer 295gr and the Federal BOR Lock. Iíll buy both of them and use whichever one groups better with my gun.

https://thorbullets.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohuett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #9
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

I shoot powerbelts out of my CVA Accura and have really good success with them. I am a neck shooter, so deep penetration isn’t an issue. Accuracy is more of my concern.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 05:46 PM   #10
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Nothing but poor blood trails with powerbelts for us. Through 3 muzzle loader we're shooting 250 grain SSTs over 2 777 pellets or 100 grains of pyrodex.

I'd say 2" groups at 100 are pretty easy now that we scoped them. I literally bang flopped a doe at 65 last weekend thru a TC pro hunter

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
cashcropper
Ten Point

I've only shot Remington accu tips from my Remington UML with triple 7 pellets but it shoots them well.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 06:52 PM   #12
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville and Harper

I have an inline TC Thunderhawk that only like loose PYRODEX powder(90grs) and 350gr maxiball bullets. I use 777 primers.
I also have a CVA Wolf that likes two pellets, 777 primers and 295gr Powerbelt bullets and is best on the first shot.
Both sighted 75 yds.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #13
chillymac
Eight Point

Hunt In: schleicher tx,colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogCommander View Post
I get good results with TC Shockwave bullets (250 grain sabots) and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder...groups around 2" at 100 yards with my CVA Optima V2.
this
chillymac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 07:17 AM   #14
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

I haven't shot mine in a year, but man it sure was fun. 100gr aka 2 pellets plus a 250gr bullet- will have to list my specifics when I get home in a few days, but it shot well.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 07:34 AM   #15
J Loves Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Interesting thread. With luck a muzzleloader will be my next gun purchase. Thanks for the info guys!
J Loves Huntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #16
ETXBUFFALO
Four Point

I appreciate the help and info.
ETXBUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #17
Bigcoyote
Six Point

Following. I’m with the op on the 3”/50yd grouping. CVA Optima, 2x50 gr Whitehots, 270 Powerbelts. First time out, dirty barrel made for 8” groups. Figured that one out quick. Clean after every shot now. Dropped a doe last weekend and after flopping around a bit she got up and toook off. Made it about 50 yds. No blood, no exit hole. Replaced Konus with better scope this weekend (Burris). We’ll see if that helps. Especially with a used gun as mine was, suggest taking scope off to make sure all mounting bolts are tight. Mine all took about 1/4 turn to tighten. Pigs are next, after another range visit.
Bigcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #18
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Nothing but poor blood trails with powerbelts for us. Through 3 muzzle loader we're shooting 250 grain SSTs over 2 777 pellets or 100 grains of pyrodex.

I'd say 2" groups at 100 are pretty easy now that we scoped them. I literally bang flopped a doe at 65 last weekend thru a TC pro hunter

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have to shoot open sight because of Colorado laws. A couple others in our group shoot Powerbelts very well but complain about the lack of trauma and blood trail.

The 350gr buffalo lead bullets will kick and aren't for every shooter. They have always hammered my targets and left pints of blood in pools on the ground. One muley had blood pumping out of entrance and exit wounds while standing his last seconds. Dropped in the pools right where he was hit.