No announcement yet.

Propane tank “Stand N Fill” x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have built a couple over the past few years. I started using ammo cans on the side of the barrel to house my timer and battery. With a stand and fill you have to get down on your knees to get to the timer if it is mounted underneath. Sooner or later you will go when it is wet and it is a pain in the hind parts to work on. My solar panel can rotate. It will charge better if it faces South.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
      the solar panel is only replenishing the battery draw from the motor running 10 seconds in the morning and 10 seconds in the evening, you don't really need much sun to do that. most timers run off AA bats and even if they run off main battery, they draw very little
      Agreed, and well aware. I’ll admit I’m a slight bit paranoid when it comes to my feeders working though. I don’t wanna leave much to chance when I live 4
      Hours from my lease and show up after being gone awhile to something messed up. I know the simple route will be to Just use the boxes I already have and keep the unit all self contained. Especially being as it’s only out there 5-6 months out of the year.

Comment

Victim acquired.
        The rust doesn’t look like anything a buffing wheel and some paint at the end of it all won’t fix. Going to have to pull a tap later and figure out where my center will be. The tank has been sitting open for some time so fumes/residue I’m not worried about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged!

Comment

Drawing some inspiration from previous TBH builds of this nature I started doing some pencil pushing to figure about how much metal I’m looking at needing.

Found my centerline on the tank and got some measurements. Being as it’s a “stand in the truck bed” and Fill feeder. I stood in the truck and measured up. 8’ to the top was about my max I was gonna do. Next I needed to know they would fit on my trailer or my brother in laws. 6’ wide base leaves me some room. A 30”OD tank gave me 21” side to side to get that 6’.

Plans are to use 2x2x3/16 angle for the skids and the legs. 1x1x1/8 angle to frame up the cage and cage door.

My only hang up at the moment is getting close to the bend I need on the legs. I’ll likely weld them on straight to the tank, then hit em with the rose bud to bend them out as needed. After it’s all said and done I MAY take some scrap angle and saddle those bends at the end. Not sure if that’ll be necessary.

Even mocked it up with tape in my fishing room to get and idea of how big they would end up being

Last edited by SwampBuck; 01-10-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Live update:
              Taking on some aiming juice before I see how this is going to pan out.
              Made several marks all the way around and pulled some gorilla tape to give me a line.

This is the point where “looks good on paper” becomes “good enough for the girls I go with”

Comment

SEND IT!

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                Live update:
                Taking on some aiming juice before I see how this is going to pan out.
                Made several marks all the way around and pulled some gorilla tape to give me a line.

This is the point where “looks good on paper” becomes “good enough for the girls I go with”

Comment

Sent!
                  Two blades/Two beer later.

Skil saw was the right choice that’s for sure.

Comment

Making progress!

Comment

This should be a fun build to follow. Plans look good.

Comment

Looking good so far!

Comment

Nice work, I was one of the builds, let me know if you need any help. The hardest part was manhandling that thing around my garage. You probably don't need quite that big of a base footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                            Nice work, I was one of the builds, let me know if you need any help. The hardest part was manhandling that thing around my garage. You probably don't need quite that big of a base footprint.
                            Yeah I was thinking the base is a little bigger than I had to go, but I wanted the things to be stable. I MIGHT still call and audible on the legs once I start tacking things together

Comment

Couple of C3P0’s sitting around..

Where I left it for today, had to stop mid afternoon due to work related stuff. But I have all the extra brackets cleaned off and just the threaded holes left to fill in. (Did manage to get one filled). For curiosity sake I did manage to pull a tape around the caps and find what should be relatively dead center of the cap on one of the tanks.

Comment

Made a little progress this afternoon.
                                Picked up the majority of my metal today. Got home and started cutting and tacking. Tomorrow afternoon I hope to get the skids set under it and then the two cross braces. Rights at 8’ to the top at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X